• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time to move CUK to The Darknet?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to move CUK to The Darknet?

Funny how the passage of this bill this week hasn't been commented on in any major newspapers except the Independent.

The Snooper's Charter passed into law this week – say goodbye to your privacy | The Independent

I'd better stop Googling "lesbian sows huge bottoms". Seriously, given the huge problems with terrorism and international crime we do need the government to have powers to tackle them for our safety but I am not sure that the restrictions are adequate. Another link here:

Why the Investigatory Powers Act is a privacy disaster waiting to happen | Ars Technica UK

So what yall think?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I think the Ministry of Truth will have this thread and those articles deleted and replaced with ones saying that The Party was always right.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Funny how the passage of this bill this week hasn't been commented on in any major newspapers except the Independent.

The Snooper's Charter passed into law this week – say goodbye to your privacy | The Independent

I'd better stop Googling "lesbian sows huge bottoms". Seriously, given the huge problems with terrorism and international crime we do need the government to have powers to tackle them for our safety but I am not sure that the restrictions are adequate. Another link here:

Why the Investigatory Powers Act is a privacy disaster waiting to happen | Ars Technica UK

So what yall think?
      If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

Just be sure to keep an eye on your neighbours and let the authorities know if they do anything that worries you Like talking in a different language or eating funny food.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

So what yall think?
        The problem with laws like this is that we are told they are for one purpose but in practice are used for other purposes.

I recall the Anti-Terrorism Act used by Poole Borough Council to spy on a family on suspicion they were living outside the school catchment area.

Anti-terror laws used to spy on family | The Independent

A family who were wrongly suspected of lying on a school application form have discovered that their local council used anti-terrorism surveillance powers to spy on them.

The family, from Poole in Dorset, said they had been tailed for three weeks by council officials trying to establish whether they had given a false address in an attempt to get their three-year-old daughter a place at a heavily oversubscribed local nursery school, which their two older children had attended. The family had in fact done nothing wrong, and the investigation was eventually aborted.

It emerged that Poole borough council had legitimately used the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act to monitor the family. This involved keeping a detailed log of their movements for two weeks, following the mother's car as she took her three children to school each day and even watching the family home to ascertain their sleeping habits.

The Act, passed in 2000, was supposed to allow security agencies to combat terrorism.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The problem with laws like this is that we are told they are for one purpose but in practice are used for other purposes.
          Quite. I never understood that. Why would councils be involved in monitoring terrorism? Use of those laws should have been restricted to the police and security services. Sometime our governments and the laws they introduce are so irrational it's difficult to have any confidence in them.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Quite. I never understood that. Why would councils be involved in monitoring terrorism? Use of those laws should have been restricted to the police and security services. Sometime our governments and the laws they introduce are so irrational it's difficult to have any confidence in them.
            Thin end of the wedge.

With this they're meant to be restricted to storing the domain name only, not the full URL because that would be content. But that just means that the future change to allow content will be a small change that will slip through largely unnoticed. And then as this is obviously good news for the VPN industry the next thing will be to outlaw VPNs. After all, if you have nothing to hide why would you need to encrypt it?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Quite. I never understood that. Why would councils be involved in monitoring terrorism?
              someone has to watch traffic wardens!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X