• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fun with BT...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun with BT...

My home Infinity broad band is very slow, it's been in less than a month so I invoked the "take it away it isn't doing what you promised" clause.

Which resulted in me having a long conversation with someone yesterday asking me to give them "one more chance to fix it". Oh Ok.

So I've just had a phone call from someone with an accent shall I say. It came up with "BT Broadband" on my phone as I've saved the number.
    He said:

"Am I speaking to Mr Gweev" or some such, close enough so I said yes.
    Then he says "Can you answer a couple of security questions please? What is your address and post code please?"
    Very polite these people...

My response, "Why? You have just called me and asked me to confirm my name".
    "Yes but I need to be sure you are who you say you are."
    "Oh that's ok then. You called my number, asked me to confirm my name but still need me to prove who I am? Who is this exactly?"
    "It's BT Infinity".
    "How do I know that you are who you say you are? How about I ask you a few questions to make sure that you are BT? What is the post code the account is attached to?"

Click....

I've just moved house.

I rang BT & told them and requested that they did whatever they needed to do to cut the service on the day I moved.

Oh no, they can't do that because the new owners have requested the line is transferred to another provider on November 30.

So in the meantime they're using the number registered to my account & I'm picking up the tab.

But not to worry because the cost of all calls made after the date I moved out will be refunded.

Sorry, that's just so wrong. I haven't moved house in over 15 years but last time I did it someone just flicked a switch and the line went dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      I've just moved house.

I rang BT & told them and requested that they did whatever they needed to do to cut the service on the day I moved.

Oh no, they can't do that because the new owners have requested the line is transferred to another provider on November 30.

So in the meantime they're using the number registered to my account & I'm picking up the tab.

But not to worry because the cost of all calls made after the date I moved out will be refunded.

Sorry, that's just so wrong. I haven't moved house in over 15 years but last time I did it someone just flicked a switch and the line went dead.
      It is probably the difference between technically being able to do it versus jumping through someones's pointless, long winded over thought out 'process' designed to increase customer satisfaction when in reality it just causes delays.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        It is probably the difference between technically being able to do it versus jumping through someones's pointless, long winded over thought out 'process' designed to increase customer satisfaction when in reality it just causes delays.
        WHS. Fortunately that sort of thing never happens in software development.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've just moved house.

So instead of ordering broadband for themselves on their line, they have effectively asked a new provider to take over YOUR broadband service.

Because a broadband service is tied to your phone service, this means the 'migration' order for broadband is preventing you from ceasing the broadband service.

Here is the bit which will probably make you feel better.

On November 30th when the broadband migration is complete, it will still be tied to your phone service. So when you cancel the phone service on November 30th, this will then automatically place a cease order on the broadband. They'll have to wait for that cease to go through, which will ultimately leave them without broadband until they order a new broadband service on their own phone line.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

I've just moved house.

Yep it is wrong but you need to stick up for yourself as BT won't refund you automatically.

I suggest you send a recorded delivery letter to their registered address or email to customer complaints stating everything said in the phone call asap.

Doesn't matter if BT lose it or can't find it as long as you can prove you sent it and there is enough detail e.g. account number, name to prove it is your account they are given to another non-related adult.

Then when they muck you around and try to charge you, you can immediately escalate with your proof.

Btw if you pay with direct debit you just tell the bank directly to refund you as the DD isn't authorised. Though you still have to pay the amount you think you owe them.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I wish people would stop using Mahindra Telecom (or BT as they laughingly call themselves here). Giving them money only encourages them.

Thank god I've got a proper fibre broadband with Virgin, no phone line, no line rental and no doings with BT/OpenReach.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                I wish people would stop using Mahindra Telecom (or BT as they laughingly call themselves here). Giving them money only encourages them.

Thank god I've got a proper fibre broadband with Virgin, no phone line, no line rental and no doings with BT/OpenReach.

WHS. I too am with Virgin and glad I switched from BT.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                  My home Infinity broad band is very slow, it's been in less than a month so I invoked the "take it away it isn't doing what you promised" clause.

Which resulted in me having a long conversation with someone yesterday asking me to give them "one more chance to fix it". Oh Ok.

So I've just had a phone call from someone with an accent shall I say. It came up with "BT Broadband" on my phone as I've saved the number.
                  He said:

"Am I speaking to Mr Gweev" or some such, close enough so I said yes.
                  Then he says "Can you answer a couple of security questions please? What is your address and post code please?"
                  Very polite these people...

My response, "Why? You have just called me and asked me to confirm my name".
                  "Yes but I need to be sure you are who you say you are."
                  "Oh that's ok then. You called my number, asked me to confirm my name but still need me to prove who I am? Who is this exactly?"
                  "It's BT Infinity".
                  "How do I know that you are who you say you are? How about I ask you a few questions to make sure that you are BT? What is the post code the account is attached to?"

Click....
                  They keep calling to offer you some deal or some such and to offer the deal you need to confirm that you are who you are despite it being them who called you. When I said, I wont give out my details, the chap told me I was losing out on an offer. BT need to sort this out.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    They keep calling to offer you some deal or some such and to offer the deal you need to confirm that you are who you are despite it being them who called you. When I said, I wont give out my details, the chap told me I was losing out on an offer. BT need to sort this out.
                    Really cool story Bro
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X