• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPod Video or Archos

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPod Video or Archos

Which is better??

Looking to get either an IPod Video or an Archos for my son...

So is the IPod Video only able to accept stuff from ITunes?

(ITunes is tulipe and the music is in m4p format, so cannot be ported to anything else)

Whereas an Archos can play/record almost anything...including recording a movie straight from a DVD player and stripping out the DVD protection along the way.

The only thing with an Archos, is they are ruddy expensive! I might have to work extra days to pay for it
    Last edited by premiere; 8 November 2006, 11:47.

Archos wins hands down!

Comment

You need to speak to DVDJon about whether your iTunes content can be ported onto a non-iPod device...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

There are plenty of alternatives to Itunes and yes, Itunes is crapola!

I like the Ipod and those Archos things do look awefully expensive. Having said that there is no way Id watch anything approaching a normal length tv program on an Ipod BUT they are cool for short videos...next time you travel through Amsterdam stop by the DVD shop in duty free and pick up some ipod pron!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by premiere
          Which is better??

Looking to get either an IPod Video or an Archos for my son...

So is the IPod Video only able to accept stuff from ITunes?

(ITunes is tulipe and the music is in m4p format, so cannot be ported to anything else)

Whereas an Archos can play/record almost anything...including recording a movie straight from a DVD player and stripping out the DVD protection along the way.

The only thing with an Archos, is they are ruddy expensive! I might have to work extra days to pay for it

There are rumours of a new full screen video ipod in the pipeline, could be worth it. There's software around that would enable you to move stuff to the ipod.

Comment

If you buy ipod do you have to use itune songs and videos only ?

Comment

Ipod

I have a video ipod and use iTunes to manage the pod. You can import your own mp3s into itunes and there are plenty of free utilities on the net for converting video - though the one I use is bloody slow.

There are lots of sites around offering software so you can use your pod without itunes - I've just been to busy / lazy to check them out.

The big downside with using an ipod video in my opinion is that you only get about 2 hours out of it when watchig video. As someone else said watching a full movie is a no-no, but I have plenty of smaller clips - SNL, music videos, art videos , that come in handy on train journeys etc

Comment

Originally posted by andy
                If you buy ipod do you have to use itune songs and videos only ?

I believe you do have to import the music into itunes first before synching with the ipod but this does not have to be music bought at the itunes store...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Archos wins hands down. Topped recent industry awards and its not an Ipod.

Comment

Archos wins for me too. Much better viewing experience and features than the video iPod. Only downside, battery capacity degrades really quickly.

Comment

Working...
                    X