• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

setting up a partnership

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting up a partnership

Usual problem here, our agency is taking too large a slice of the pie. The agency has "won" these contracts due to our technical skills/contacts.
    We want to create an umbrella partnership/Ltd Co to bid for this managed service work and/or force a better deal with the agency.
    At the moment, we work through our own Ltd Company solutions (contracts are not caught by IR35). We wish to remain working through these companies and formalise a business relationship through a new managed service Limited Liability Partnership/Ltd Company.

If you have been there and done it, can you advise on?
    Legal business format
    Accountancy solution
    Partnership agreement
    Setup costs
    Pitfalls etc

This sounds like a simple joint venture arrnagement. Your accountant should be able to advise.

Comment

Partnerships..

As far as I remember if you form a partnership it ain't LTD.

You and your partner become liable for eachother's debts incurred in the running of the company. It sounds like you trust eachother, but if you go bust you could lose everything.

I would be careful as I have seen rich men become poor men, due to having been a partner in the boom/bust of the 80's.

But a good accountant will outline all the options and benefits and pitfalls of them both.

Comment

partnerships..

thanks for replies to date.

I'm not keen on the basic partnership deal due to the shared liability.
        But I've heard of the Limited Liability Partnership, which appears to be a halfway house to a Ltd Co.
        From what I've read to date, this would protect us give flexible structure.
        I think Ltd Co's can be members of a LLP, so thats double isolation from shared liability, is this true?

As for joint ventures, how are these structured and administered between Ltd Co's???

It's early days yet and we want to sound out some experienced contractors on the pro's and con's of each subject, before we visit the accountant and part wish our hard earned cash.

So far our option are:
        New Ltd Company
        New Limited Liability Partnership
        Joint Venture

Comment

Another option would be to use a ltd as a shell company, and subcontract or substitute the work to yourselves as Sole Traders.

Less to untangle if all goes wrong than a Partnership.

Just a thought anyway.....

Comment

Limited Liability Partnerships

I'm afraid you have been poorly advised.

A further option for you is a "Limited Liability Partnership". A nice half-way house between partnerships and ltd companies.

I would have done this with my partner, but the option wasn't around when we founded!

LF

Comment

Ooops

Sorry, must be the wine talking.

Seriously though, unless you want them (angry clients) coming for your house, car, personal finances, etc... go the limited liability route. Get insurance too - but you REALLY don't want to be sued.

Case and point - Hatfield Railway disaster. Shít always rolls down, from the top to the bottom. In this case it was the Railway Contractors that got hit. But in any organisation, the end worker always lands the blame. Stay protected.

Comment

Safe Sex

Limited liability is like practicing safe sex with clients. Although, I wouldn't want to further this anymore!

Comment

Re: Safe Sex

Few other things to consider include share structure, who takes the contracts should the relationship dissolve and also the restraining clauses in your current contract which normally states you cannot go near a client for 12 months.

It's certainly a good idea & worth taking further advice.

Comment

safe sex advice

Can you recommend a good source for this type of safe sex partnership?
                    Most accountancy firms seem to push only Ltd Co solutions.

Comment

Working...
                    X