• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best short term investment options for lump sum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best short term investment options for lump sum

Not sure this is the right forum for this post but I can't be done with posting in General at the moment...

Just sold my house & the proceeds are in my current account. What's the best thing to do with this cash until my next house purchase which could be any time from 2 - 6 months from now?

I have a Barclays every day savers account & I've just seen they are reducing the rate from 0.25% to 0.05% on December 1 eek:

Is that the best damage limitation available in the current climate?

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Not sure this is the right forum for this post but I can't be done with posting in General at the moment...

Just sold my house & the proceeds are in my current account. What's the best thing to do with this cash until my next house purchase which could be any time from 2 - 6 months from now?

I have a Barclays every day savers account & I've just seen they are reducing the rate from 0.25% to 0.05% on December 1 eek:

Probably not such a short term. You also don't want more than £75,000 per a banking licence...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post

Aldermore are doing 0.75% on Easy Access accounts - so this seems a decent suggestion for at least £75k of your money.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+savings+i...rm+easy+access
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You don't need to worry about the 75k limit - you get 6 months protection under FSCS for up to a million for temporary high balances after selling your property

Comment

With your luck I'd just leave it where it is. A couple of months at sub 1% isn't going to make much difference compared the hassle of not having it on point when you need it.

Dunno what your credit score is but opening new bank accounts and moving money around ahead of a new mortgage application may not work in your favour in some cases as well.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              With your luck I'd just leave it where it is. A couple of months at sub 1% isn't going to make much difference compared the hassle of not having it on point when you need it.

Dunno what your credit score is but opening new bank accounts and moving money around ahead of a new mortgage application may not work in your favour in some cases as well.
              +1, OP do you want to buy some magic beans in exchange for that cash cow

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for pointing this out.

As for my luck - just got an email from Barclays telling me I'm getting £4k PPI refund.

Couldn't have come at a better time

Comment

Cool story bro.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Max out your cash ISA allowance - £~15k each for you and spouse. Coventry BS offer 1 and a bit % for their easy access ISA. Put the rest in the garden shed.

Comment

Working...
                    X