• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Changing shareholdings and dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing shareholdings and dividends

A general not really contracting question if anyone wants to indulge (and naturally I don't have an accountant).

Normally dividends are paid in proportion to shareholding of course, but what happens if that changes in the middle of the year? E.g. someone takes on a 50% share 6 months through the company year, and a final dividend is paid at the end of the year. Do they get 50%? Or is it normal to calculate it pro-rata (i.e. they get 25% and the other shareholder gets 75%).

And how do interim dividends fit in?

Thanks for any advises.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

It is paid pro-rate by share class. So if they own 50% shares at the date of dividend declaration they get 50% of the dividends.

You could always use different share classes (with accompanying risks of settlements etc of course), or declare dividend before the transfer. If you don't have the physical funds then journalise to the shareholderts current account.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      A general not really contracting question if anyone wants to indulge (and naturally I don't have an accountant).

Normally dividends are paid in proportion to shareholding of course, but what happens if that changes in the middle of the year? E.g. someone takes on a 50% share 6 months through the company year, and a final dividend is paid at the end of the year. Do they get 50%? Or is it normal to calculate it pro-rata (i.e. they get 25% and the other shareholder gets 75%).
      It is calculated by shareholding, at dividend issue.
      EG. 1st Jan with person A having 100%. Person A gets 100% of the dividend.
      Shares changed at 1st Feb to 50/50 spilt. Dividend issue at 1st March will be 50/50.

Forget pro-rata. It's who owns them at issue time.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It is kind of a contracting question as the same will apply if you change your LTD shareholding as well.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Vm,

Was your origanal question "i am not sure how to deal with it" or was it "i would like to make different payments". The former you have the answer to. The latter is possible if you have a substantial attitude to risk.

Comment

Working...
          X