• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Support petition to scrap ICT (Intra Company Transfer) Visa in IT sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support petition to scrap ICT (Intra Company Transfer) Visa in IT sector

It has become almost impossible to find IT jobs and contracts in UK, mainly due to import (immigration) of IT staff on ICT (Intra company Transfer) visa by companies like TCS, Infosys, Wipro, HCL, IBM, Tech-Mahindra, Cognigant etc (just to name a few)! Several IT workers in UK are unemployed.

This is not a racial issue as we all are affected (bye the way, I am of Indian origin)!

If you agree that one of the solution lie in scraping the ICT visa, please see the petition on the link below. It is also important that you promote it among your contacts too.

https://www.change.org/p/home-office...n-it-computers

Thank you.

Originally posted by bks View Post
    It has become almost impossible to find IT jobs and contracts in UK, mainly due to import (immigration) of IT staff on ICT (Intra company Transfer) visa by companies like TCS, Infosys, Wipro, HCL, IBM, Tech-Mahindra, Cognigant etc (just to name a few)! Several IT workers in UK are unemployed.

This is not a racial issue as we all are affected (bye the way, I am of Indian origin)!

If you agree that one of the solution lie in scraping the ICT visa, please see the petition on the link below. It is also important that you promote it among your contacts too.

https://www.change.org/p/home-office...n-it-computers

Thank you.
    Contractors have a bigger problem than this to deal with and many have side-stepped this issue, but go ahead if it worries you.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I admire your dedication but scrap ICT? That's just not gonna happen. Maybe if you campaigned for a change or a reduction but scrapping it? You've got more chance of platting fog.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

And that title... In computers?? That sounds like something my grandma would say. If you want to be taken seriously at least have a petition title that means something. It's embarrassing.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 26 November 2016, 13:38.

Comment

But there's a huge skills shortage the gov tells us. How about we have more ICT visas?

Comment

I note you are a SAP consultant. At TechEd Barcelona this year, I met many British people, some of whom are contractors. They managed to find work. Unfair competition from Indian (and other places) is a pain- but a good consultant adjusts to market conditions to keep working.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Kind of amusing the bloke is in SAP. Have you tried getting in to any role dealing with SAP if you don't have prior experience. It's more closed shop than SC gigs and probably one of the least likely to be affected by ICT problems.

Comment

SAP R/3 is the work of the devil.

We have SAP Hana at the bank, is it still the work of the devil?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Kind of amusing the bloke is in SAP. Have you tried getting in to any role dealing with SAP if you don't have prior experience. It's more closed shop than SC gigs and probably one of the least likely to be affected by ICT problems.
                  It depends on your sector. Development has been badly hit. It's interesting that development is a very common entry point into SAP offshore - this means it is the lowest paid and the lowest status. And that means that anyone who's any good quickly moves in management or into functional/BA roles. And that means that the number of good experienced developers is dwindling, which is an opportunity.

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  SAP R/3 is the work of the devil.

We have SAP Hana at the bank, is it still the work of the devil?
                  Yes, but it's in memory so should be faster. Anyone wanting to train themselves on SAP Hana should download the Hana Express VM. Training courses are available here: https://open.sap.com/courses/hana1
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I work with many Indians over on ICT visas. IT's a huge issue because many young people are not getting training in key skills because companies have outsourced there IT to consultancies who bring their own people over from India. Its a race to the bottom, you'll get less young people with key skills and so the Big Corps bemoan lack of skills and so our government are conned into allowing the ICT system to be used, and in many cases be abused.

Solution would be to ensure a quota system or insist for every ICT visa granted the company should have to train or employ a British person. You find the only people who back ICT are those who benefit from it or do not care much for the next generation being skilled.
                    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Working...
                    X