• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Naive Brolly Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naive Brolly Question

Always worked via a LTD, so don't know a great deal on how Brollies work ... I know I could go searching but I'm idle and easier to ask a question

If we do all eventually get forced down the Brolly route, how will this impact pension payments and T&E? Can we still put a lump each year into a pension and get tax benefit (I assume so) but would this come out at source or would we get paid the salary, pay into pension then get the rebate back via tax return?

As for T&E, I currently pay 650 a month train as I need to commute into the big smoke - would this be claimable back as I'd be an employee of the Brolly? Again, I assume so but wanted to double check.

How about PII? Under a Brolly do contractors need this as we're employed via the Brolly and no longer via our own LTD. Saves 250 quid a year.

I think so long as I can keep my rate at the 500+ I'll still struggle on contracting Not moving across until I have to, but when/if the time comes the contractor life for me via a Brolly is still better than permie. May even take an easy life in the PS as there'll be a shortage of contractors over there
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Always worked via a LTD, so don't know a great deal on how Brollies work ... I know I could go searching but I'm idle and easier to ask a question

If we do all eventually get forced down the Brolly route, how will this impact pension payments and T&E? Can we still put a lump each year into a pension and get tax benefit (I assume so) but would this come out at source or would we get paid the salary, pay into pension then get the rebate back via tax return?

As for T&E, I currently pay 650 a month train as I need to commute into the big smoke - would this be claimable back as I'd be an employee of the Brolly? Again, I assume so but wanted to double check.

How about PII? Under a Brolly do contractors need this as we're employed via the Brolly and no longer via our own LTD. Saves 250 quid a year.

I think so long as I can keep my rate at the 500+ I'll still struggle on contracting Not moving across until I have to, but when/if the time comes the contractor life for me via a Brolly is still better than permie. May even take an easy life in the PS as there'll be a shortage of contractors over there
    You don't get travel and expenses with a brolly. Well you would get the expenses a permanent employee may get but there are some nasty gotchas that limit even those
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You don't get travel and expenses with a brolly. Well you would get the expenses a permanent employee may get but there are some nasty gotchas that limit even those
      Interesting, but wouldn't I be an employee of the Brolly, and therefore either my main working address is either their office, or my home office, and hence any travel to another office (say the client) should be claimable? If I worked for a consultancy I'd be allowed to claim travel. But hey, the gov likes to make rules for one and different for others ...
      Last edited by administrator; 29 November 2016, 16:37. Reason: No winking here please...

Comment

Too idle to even post it in the right part of the forum it seems.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Interesting, but wouldn't I be an employee of the Brolly, and therefore either my main working address is either their office, or my home office, and hence any travel to another office (say the client) should be claimable? If I worked for a consultancy I'd be allowed to claim travel. But hey, the gov likes to make rules for one and different for others ...
          You need to read this.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post2338432
          Last edited by administrator; 29 November 2016, 16:37. Reason: Quoted winker.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Too idle to even post it in the right part of the forum it seems.
            Yup.

Comment

Yup.
              But not too idle to ask us to waste our time answering stupid questions that are easily answered by a five second search? Heigh ho...

You'll go far. Hopefully
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                But not too idle to ask us to waste our time answering stupid questions that are easily answered by a five second search? Heigh ho...

You'll go far. Hopefully
                He's definitely consultant material nqat
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

OK with regards to the Pensions - this isn't an issue, the pension payments are still made via salary sacrifice so you will gain the tax relief at the point of processing the payment.

T&S is no longer allowed via a compliant brolly, but if you are not under Supervision, Direction or Control by the end client then you may be able to claw this back via self-assessment at the end of the year. Our suggestion is that you speak directly with HMRC to get them to confirm if you are under SDC or not, don't bother with some of these so-called tests that are around, as HMRC are the only ones who will decide.

Insurance is normally included within the margin the brolly charges, so yes you would be saving that! Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by lucycontractorumbrella View Post
                    OK with regards to the Pensions - this isn't an issue, the pension payments are still made via salary sacrifice so you will gain the tax relief at the point of processing the payment.
                    Lucy, just curious

How would pension contributions affect take home , for example a £500pd contractor through umbrella with 0 pension payments vs one who put £24k pa into a pension?

Also. Is that payable into any pension or the umbrella's own pension provider?

Comment

Working...
                    X