• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Uber going to wash that?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uber going to wash that?

eew

Electrolux developing washing machines that will enable neighbours to rent them | Daily Mail Online

Uber for your LAUNDRY: Electrolux developing 'smart' washing machines that will enable neighbours to rent them out, similar to the taxi app
    Swedish company suggest new Uber style idea for people doing laundry
    Neighbours could book slot on a washing machine on their street and pay
    Families 'renting' out their machines could make some extra cash for bills
    The Internet of Dirty things.

Would you want MF's 'smalls' in your drum? Or NLYUK's frillies tossed into your machine?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    eew

Electrolux developing washing machines that will enable neighbours to rent them | Daily Mail Online

The Internet of Dirty things.

Would you want MF's 'smalls' in your drum? Or NLYUK's frillies tossed into your machine?
    Least NLYUKs frillies are more off than on.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You mean like a laundrette? ....

Comment

I can't work out any financial model that makes it worthwhile renting your washing machine out to your grotty neighbours while also remaining cheap it enough to make it worth them using your machine vs buying their own.

Although, of course, having gone against my better judgement and read the actual link - the headline says:

Electrolux developing 'smart' washing machines that will enable neighbours to rent them out, similar to the taxi app
        Whereas it seems Electrolux are developing a "smart" washing machine which

in theory, a family could allow their neighbours – or strangers - to book a slot in their washing machine via an online timetable.
        Which isn't really quite the same thing.
        Last edited by vwdan; 29 November 2016, 12:47.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          I can't work out any financial model that makes it worthwhile renting your washing machine out to your grotty neighbours while also remaining cheap it enough to make it worth them using your machine vs buying their own.
          I can sort of understand it as a temporary measure - your machine packs up, it'll be best part of a week for whoever to come and install a new one etc. To work commercially they would have to undercut the laundrettes (the few that still exist) and you can do a large load for a fiver there. Plus they have insurance etc. so I don't see how you can operate as a commercial laundry service and make any sort of profit. The taxman will be all over you like a rash for a start.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Whereas it seems Electrolux are developing a "smart" washing machine
            Presumably it comes with a "smart" front door that allows your neighbours into your kitchen at the allotted time.

Maybe it makes some sense, but I can't see what advantage there is into building any of this into the washing machine. Electrolux will soon realise that it works just as well with any old "dumb" washing machine. Just use a simple smartphone app to handle the bookings.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think financially it probably can make sense, it's everything else that doesn't... typically people aren't that close with their neighbours to feel happy letting them come in on their own and without that it becomes cumbersome, not worth the money to the owner.

In some cases where next door neighbours are close then maybe, but then what if they go on holiday or move, and now you have to buy a machine anyway.

If housing development were built with a laundry room that'd probably work better. But that's not so common outside flats AFAIK.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Next thing you know, your neighbor will claim employment at your house as washing machine operator and demand minimal wages + pension...

If i'm close enough to my neighbors to let them access my home and use my washing machine I sure as hell not gonna charge them a sum competitive to a launderette and just let them use it for free if they are in need. Which makes the whole endeavour a waste of time.

Comment

now adding web / push notification so I can text the kids to hang it out on the line, that would be cool!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    If housing development were built with a laundry room that'd probably work better. But that's not so common outside flats AFAIK.
                    Has anyone ever seen that in the UK?

It's been 20 years, but I still remember the misery of lugging a big heavy bag of clothes (and a big heavy bag of change) a mile down the road to the laundrette.

This is most likely going to appeal to people who are at home anyway, like women looking after kids, or WFH contractors, who see it as a way of making a small bit of cash. Not really a bad thing.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X