• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dividend Confusion

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dividend Confusion

I'll get straight to the point.

Started the ltd co last year and ran for 8 months as sole director (business started 2 months after co. opening) taking dividends as necessary.
    At Christmas I brought on my wife as a director with a relative share ratio and then split the following dividends as such.
    However I have now received both mine and my wife's Self Assessments from the accountant and they have taken the company's total dividends and split as the share ratio above.
    This means my wife will be declaring more shares than she has actually had and I will be declaring less.

I appreciate that from a pure tax income this won't make a difference to HMRC but to my simple logic why wouldn't we just declare the dividend payments exactly as they were made as this won't take me or my wife into higher tax brackets?

Hopefully all that makes sense but having asked the accountant a few times about why they have done it this way I can't seem to make sense of it so any help is welcome as this is my first year of operating and I want to make sure the t's and i's are sorted.

Thanks in advance.

Your post doesn't make sense.

What is the shareholding split between you and your wife in percentages?

What is the shareholding split the accountant declared in percentages?

If you cannot explain it to us on a forum (which includes accountants) then there is no way your accountant understands what you have done.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The share split is 66/34 and has been applied as such.

However the accountant has applied it to the total yearly dividend take and not just the dividends taken since my wife was appointed.

Comment

Your Accountant is the person to ask. They should be split according to the dates of the Dividends' declaration, as per the minutes of the Meetings.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by nato View Post

However the accountant has applied it to the total yearly dividend take and not just the dividends taken since my wife was appointed.
          So tell your accountant how much money has been issued to and your wife as dividend income. How it is derived is irrelevant.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

send your accountant the dividend certificates that were issued after the company board met.
            You do have those don't you? If not then ask your accountant how to do them.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Is your accountant one of those that treats all interim payments as directors loans and then tidies it all up with one big dividend at the end of the year?

Comment

Another example of where having an accountant leads to more work, when all you have is a simple contracting limited company.

Self assessment, the clue is in the wording. Do it yourself.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think there has just been a miscommunication between me and the accountant and I after your advice I now feel I am firmer ground to argue the point.

I certainly do have dividend certificates so I shall put those together and forward them.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think there has just been a miscommunication between me and the accountant and I after your advice I now feel I am firmer ground to argue the point.

I certainly do have dividend certificates so I shall put those together and forward them.
                    If you explained it like your original post I'm not surprised there is a miscommunication.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X