• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PCG and QDOS can save the day with IR35 insurance for agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCG and QDOS can save the day with IR35 insurance for agencies

I'm sure the PCG and QDOS have considered this already, but they could perhaps save the day by coming up with an insurance product for agencies/intermediaries.

After all the IR35 legislation has not actually changed. QDOS and PCG are currently insuring contractors directly, why can they not come up with an umbrella product for all contractors at an agency.

They will soon be losing business from contractors in the public sector that have no use for their IR35 insurance products anymore. If the changes move to the private sector as expected, they will lose even more (if not all business) and yet they still have the skills to defend actual IR35 cases, and have the same chances of success.

I am sure contractors would happily pay for the insurance product either directly as a fee or indirectly through the agency margin. If the agency feels safe they won't lose out (I'm thinking QDOS TLC35 for agencies) they will happily allow contractors to be outside IR35.

It can then all be decided in the courts as it should be.

A) We don't know. It's too early. Why don't you wait and see....

B) Surely if you are putting together a game changing idea it might be worth getting the name of the organisation right. It's not been PCG since 2014.

Great input though thanks.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If you don't want to take it from me... Take it straight from QDOS...

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...ml#post2339610

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        B) Surely if you are putting together a game changing idea it might be worth getting the name of the organisation right. It's not been PCG since 2014. .
        They'll always be the PCG to me

Anyhow, it was just a thought that sprung to mind.
        Last edited by Lewis; 1 December 2016, 11:03.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          A) We don't know. It's too early. Why don't you wait and see....

B) Surely if you are putting together a game changing idea it might be worth getting the name of the organisation right. It's not been PCG since 2014.

Great input though thanks.
          WNLUK said.

All we can do is wait for Monday, see the actual law and then work out what if any workarounds / assurances need to be given.

However its one thing to insure 100,000 contractors for £25,000 each on average, its another to insure 1,000 agencies for £2m each.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
            They'll always be the PCG to me

Anyhow, it was just a thought that sprung to mind.
            Might want to change your thinking a little then if you want to present forward thinking ideas to the contractor community and be taken seriously.

I've a feeling we've got at least 6 months of this to come

Comment

Isn't there a confluence of interest here? Why would organisations fight too hard against legislation that they're selling insurance to protect you from? It'd be like Direct Line trying to push for crash-proof cars.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The MoD are now excluding independent contract reviews as evidence of IR35 compliance from contractors. Who's to say they wouldn't take the same approach for similar agency based insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  Isn't there a confluence of interest here? Why would organisations fight too hard against legislation that they're selling insurance to protect you from? It'd be like Direct Line trying to push for crash-proof cars.
                  I believe the argument goes that Ipse are more than just an insurance product, but I've been contracting for 20 years and have yet to meet a member who joined for anything other than the insurance they offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                    I believe the argument goes that Ipse are more than just an insurance product, but I've been contracting for 20 years and have yet to meet a member who joined for anything other than the insurance they offer.
                    IPSE don't do insurance.

Comment

Working...
                    X