• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it me, or agents getting more stupid???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me, or agents getting more stupid???

So today I started my (half-hearted) look-see for a contract outside of the PS. Did the usual, a quick scan of the CUK contract board for my skill, and pushed out my updated cover notice and updated CV to 8 or 9 roles that have been listed in the last 3 days.

One agent calls me back about an hour later... and the conversation seems to indicate that the agent (wont name them, or the agency) has been lobotomised.

My cover letter/email is real short and simple - here are my skills, this is where I am curently working, this is what I have been doing, this is what I am looking for (rate and location) and Best Regards

First question.. where are you working? Ok, clearly not read my CV or cover letter, or maybe its just to get the conversation going
    2nd question .. what have you been doing there.... yep, confirmed, not read anything
    3rd question... where are you currently working? Ermm.. you just asked me that
    4th question... oh, ok. And what have you been doing there? Yep.. asked me that as well
    5th question... So why are you leaving? Me - I am trying to get out of this PS gig and back into the private sector. Feeling a little concerned about IR35
    6th question... I see you have done a lot of work in the public sector, would you consider going back to any of them again (I feel a punt for references coming in the wind)... Erm, no, as explained I want to get away from the PS right now

"oh yes, so ok...." so goes on to explain the role, we chat about the fit, my skills again, he talks about day rates.. all looking good

7th question... "so does that fit with what you are doing now... and where are you working again?"

Ye gods.

He said he will be putting me forward and will be emailing me with confirmation and more details.... I am not holding my breath of the email arriving.

Time to man up or have a torrid time. We know what agents are, question is do you have the stones to deal with it without moaning all the time.

Spend enough time on here and you'll see there are plenty of contractors than give them a run for their money in these stakes.

HTH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyboy View Post
      So today I started my (half-hearted) look-see for a contract outside of the PS. Did the usual, a quick scan of the CUK contract board for my skill, and pushed out my updated cover notice and updated CV to 8 or 9 roles that have been listed in the last 3 days.

One agent calls me back about an hour later... and the conversation seems to indicate that the agent (wont name them, or the agency) has been lobotomised.

My cover letter/email is real short and simple - here are my skills, this is where I am curently working, this is what I have been doing, this is what I am looking for (rate and location) and Best Regards

First question.. where are you working? Ok, clearly not read my CV or cover letter, or maybe its just to get the conversation going
      2nd question .. what have you been doing there.... yep, confirmed, not read anything
      3rd question... where are you currently working? Ermm.. you just asked me that
      4th question... oh, ok. And what have you been doing there? Yep.. asked me that as well
      5th question... So why are you leaving? Me - I am trying to get out of this PS gig and back into the private sector. Feeling a little concerned about IR35
      6th question... I see you have done a lot of work in the public sector, would you consider going back to any of them again (I feel a punt for references coming in the wind)... Erm, no, as explained I want to get away from the PS right now

"oh yes, so ok...." so goes on to explain the role, we chat about the fit, my skills again, he talks about day rates.. all looking good

7th question... "so does that fit with what you are doing now... and where are you working again?"

Ye gods.

He said he will be putting me forward and will be emailing me with confirmation and more details.... I am not holding my breath of the email arriving.
      I trained him well
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

It's you.

Agents have always been that thick. Haven't you read any of DA's posts?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          It's you.

Agents have always been that thick. Haven't you read any of DA's posts?
          You've read them?

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            I trained him well
            you didn't he didn't get references or the Girlfriends phone number.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              You've read them?
              Yeah when I've had time and want to be argumentative.

DA normally doesn't answer but someone else does.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yeah, its just that I have dealt with tricky/stupid agents before (and down right liers), but this was on a whole new level

Comment

Yeah, its just that I have dealt with tricky/stupid agents before (and down right liers), but this was on a whole new level
                  Did you get the impression that English was not his first language?
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Liars
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X