• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should diesels be banned?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should diesels be banned?

Four major cities move to ban diesel vehicles by 2025 - BBC News

The mayors of Paris, Mexico City, Madrid and Athens say they are implementing the ban to improve air quality.

By 2025 Athens will be lucky to have anything other than bikes...

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

The mayors of Paris, Mexico City, Madrid and Athens say they are implementing the ban to improve air quality.

ISTR that Athens, 30 years ago or more, implemented a system whereby you could only drive into the city with registrations that ended with an odd number one day, and an even one the next day.
    Of course it was a complete disaster as so many people just bought 2 cars to get around it, thus making the problems worse.

On a slightly related (diesel) note, just heard that a local council down here in the south west has just christened its new gritting lorry.............Nicole Saltslinger!!

Well it made ME larf anyway!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Probably.

A retired chemist I know told me he's just bought his first diesel, but feels guilty about it because as a chemist he knew full well how bad they were and always refused to have one.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I've always preferred Vin to Diesel.........
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

But diesels are so economical.
          Mine does nearly 23 MPG.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
            But diesels are so economical.
            Mine does nearly 23 MPG.
            Call yourself a contractor? My Veyron does 23MPG. Metres per gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

The Labour government encouraged us to buy diesel cars. Now they are killing everyone they are telling us not to get them.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The Labour government encouraged us to buy diesel cars. Now they are killing everyone they are telling us not to get them.
                Retrospective taxation will be extended to cars soon...

Comment

I didn't even realise you could get lorries that weren't diesels. Although the BBC use of the word "truck" is ambiguous; does that mean lorry in English?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I didn't even realise you could get lorries that weren't diesels. Although the BBC use of the word "truck" is ambiguous; does that mean lorry in English?
                    Truck = Lorry = HGV
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X