• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelance Informer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelance Informer

Back in the day before I became a contractor I remember mates telling you want to read that Freelance Informer and become a contractor.

This mythical magazine was touted as the Route to Riches.

I never even saw a copy but was always curious. Are there any scans or PDFs around? A quick google and the computers says no.

Originally posted by gruntling View Post
    Back in the day before I became a contractor I remember mates telling you want to read that Freelance Informer and become a contractor.

This mythical magazine was touted as the Route to Riches.

I never even saw a copy but was always curious. Are there any scans or PDFs around? A quick google and the computers says no.
    It was a freebie subscription back in the 90's, got killed off by the interweb most likely. It was full of ads, as I remember the ads were mostly for jobs that didn't exist (publication deadlines and all that) but it was very handy as a way of maintaining a list of agents who dealt in one's chosen sector.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I had an article in there once. Hopefully there are no PDFs around as it was complete bollox.

It was nice when there were only 20,000 contractors around. Though we will probably be back there soon.

Comment

Article here: 'Freelance Informer' publishes its final issue :: Contractor UK

I used to get it. There was a paid for subscription that had it sent first class, to give you earlier access to the job listing, but I always got the free one. I did get a couple of contracts through it in the last 90s. Some of the articles and front covers were quite fun, some of the articles were even useful - e.g. Egos' (Roger Sinclair's) column.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Not forgetting the legendary BOFH...

Comment

Originally posted by gruntling View Post
            A quick google and the computers says no.
            http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...-magazine.html
            "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

There is a cover at

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BXibowryTY...0/scan0028.jpg

and an article at

Why Can’t une femme be more like un homme?

Comment

Remember FI from back in my early contracting days. I was the only one that got it at the client co I was at and the permies used to beg for a look at it

A magazine full of one month out of date job ads that you faxed your CV for

That was the 'golden age of contracting' in the very early 90's where you faxed off six CV's when you needed a gig, got six phone calls, four interviews and four job offers. No fannying about with compliance and background checks. offer, sign, in the door......usually in less than two days.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I remember that as well but the jobs advertised weren't really in my sector but the other one that came out, what was it, 'Computer Talk' I found much better....
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                    That was the 'golden age of contracting' in the very early 90's where you faxed off six CV's when you needed a gig, got six phone calls, four interviews and four job offers. No fannying about with compliance and background checks. offer, sign, in the door......usually in less than two days.
                    Now it's five phone interviews, four online assessments to complete, three references, two face to face interviews for one role, that they fill using an Indian bodyshop instead, because there's less forms to fill in going offshore for tax and compliance reasons.
                    Last edited by DimPrawn; 3 December 2016, 10:42.

Comment

Working...
                    X