• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Emigrated for a job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emigrated for a job

I had a job offer here 2 weeks ago and e-mailed all recruiters I was talking to that I was planning to take it and I would be off the market for the next 6 months.

But the recruiter of this company said that they liked me so much and they matched the offer. They sent the contract and confirmed everything in writing multiple times and they gave me my start date. I asked confirmation about 10 times, because I was scared of such a big step.

I've arranged the emigration, cancelled my rent and took a flight there for my first day at the company.

Once I arrived at the office. It turned out that this department of the company thought I was coming in for a 2nd face-2-face interview. So I was in a foreign country in their office and had a phone-call interview with a guy working from home that day.

They apologized for the miscommunication, but I even have the contract and multiple times in writing that it's all confirmed, 6 months contract and at what rate.

I know my best bet is to find a new job as soon as possible, but I'm quiet shocked.

It's a massive corporate company, so I can see how their lines of communication there aren't always that great, but this has been extremely painful.

And? Apart from the rant what questions do you have?
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Any sympathy rather than an attack would be welcome. I'm still in shock and just any tips handling this situation would be welcome.

Comment

Which country was the job in?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Which country was the job in?
          Netherlands

Comment

You need to pressure the agent. It may well be that the client have screwed up comms and be willing to take you on, but only the agency can make that happen.
            Did they sign anything to prove you turned up? If they did you can pressure the agent by telling them they're going to have to pay you in any case, and you're considering legal proceedings for breach of contract.

Good luck.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You could sue for breach of contract, however it will be long and painful.

Personally I would move on.

And go to the recruiters office one Friday night and post maggots, bran and fish heads through the post box.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

You could sue for breach of contract, however it will be long and painful.
                I would sue them in this case as it is more than a breach of contract it is misrepresentation.

Or alternatively threaten to go public with their name.

Talk to a couple of lawyers.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by candy View Post
                  Any sympathy rather than an attack would be welcome. I'm still in shock and just any tips handling this situation would be welcome.
                  Send your story to the Daily Mail along with a photo of your best sad face.

Comment

Originally posted by candy View Post
                    Eek's post was a question, not an attack but we can appreciate that you're in shock.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X