PDA

View Full Version : One of Rumsfeld's classics

the guy with the bowtie
9th November 2006, 09:31
An actual quote :

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know. "

Always makes me laugh. Good riddance.

wendigo100
9th November 2006, 10:23
It sounds perfectly clear to me. His mistake was trying to explain it to plebs.

interested
9th November 2006, 10:58
An actual quote :

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones we don't know we don't know. "

Always makes me laugh. Good riddance.

Makes perfect sense to me. But not as good as the quote from Robert McCloskey of State Dept

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

dang65
9th November 2006, 11:00
I reckon The Unknown Unknowns would be a great band name. Well, early on in their career anyway.

Bernard Common
9th November 2006, 13:28
You guys simply do not get the Iraq War.

Donald

ViolentCheese
9th November 2006, 21:28
My favorite Rumsfield quote was soemthing he said about Bin laden which went along the lines of (and I am paraphrasing here): "our sources tell us that Bin laden is either in Afganistan, some other country or dead".

:rollin:

Buffoon
9th November 2006, 21:38
And people say politicians never give a complete answer.

thunderlizard
9th November 2006, 21:39
Give the guy a break. If Socrates had said that in the Theaetetus, everybody would have called him a genius.