• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A big tip makes all the difference

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be giving out a few tips that I've been given over the years.

The first is regarding the right level of quality one should work toward. Many people are perfectionists (especially new grads) and that is just not realistic in the private sector. If one persists with that approach, it leads to frustration, disappointment and lack of progress.

The key skill is understanding what is "just good enough" from your customers view. That is the correct level of quality you must achieve. This is a real skill, working out what level of quality gets you across the line and sticking to it.

That's the first tip, deliver work that is "just good enough" and no better.
    Last edited by Fronttoback; 4 December 2016, 00:10.

I've got a tip of a similar level of value...

Every week give 110%.

I break it down as follows:
    15% on Monday
    30% on Tuesday
    30% on Wednesday
    25% on Thursday
    10% on Friday
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Comment

Tiffani? Is that you?

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

A tip my year 6 primary school teacher gave to the boys. Never marry a woman.

And of course I never make the same mistake twice. I repeat it lots of times, just to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            A tip my year 6 primary school teacher gave to the boys. Never marry a woman.

And of course I never make the same mistake twice. I repeat it lots of times, just to be sure.
            Does that mean you're either marrying a man next time or have decided to become gender neutral or whatever the hell the latest thing is?
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

A bachelor is a man who never makes the same mistake once.

Comment

Tips for women: make sure the man you marry is as grown-up as you.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  Tips for women: make sure the man you marry is as grown-up as you.
                  Marriage is old fashioned and represses men in a needless financial prison.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    Marriage is old fashioned and represses men in a needless financial prison.
                    Only if you are stupid enough to not ensure your spouse either earns the same as you or has the potential to earn the same as you, and you let her do so.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X