• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Give a few quid to wikipedia.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give a few quid to wikipedia.

I use wikipedia a lot. It would be terrible if it turned in the Daily Mail.

To all our readers in the UK:

Time is running out in 2016 to help Wikipedia. When I made Wikipedia a non-profit, people warned me I’d regret it. Over a decade later, it’s the only top ten site run by a non-profit and a community of passionate volunteers. Has it crossed my mind how much money we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But I believe people wouldn’t want to build it and we wouldn't be able to trust it. To protect our independence, we'll never run ads. We're sustained by donations averaging about £10. Now is the time we ask. If everyone reading this right now gave £2, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. That's right, the price of a cup of coffee is all we need. People say we live in a media environment where facts have become subjective. At Wikipedia, we reject that idea. We believe facts matter. Please help us keep Wikipedia online and growing. Thank you — Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia Founder
    Bung them a few quid for Christmas.

Wikipedia won't stop BEGGING for cash - despite sitting on $60m • The Register
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Outstanding sales and marketing strategy by this 'non profit' organization. Expect the fund-raising (aka 12 month's revenue in one hit) to come around each and every year forever more at about the same time ..

From https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki...raising_Report..

"We will rely on our proven process to improve the effectiveness of our annual campaigns while innovating to find new revenue streams."

Comment

oh well, I donated. I use wikipedia a lot.

Comment

Google sits on 1000x as much.

Comment

I donated about 1/2 hr before reading this. Can't believe somebody as mean as I am didn't check first.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Better off saving the rhinos...

Comment

Comment

How do we donate to CUK?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    How do we donate to CUK?
                    I donated a gold bar to Admin last week, so don't worry.

Comment

Working...
                    X