• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should previous accountants do corporation tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should previous accountants do corporation tax?

Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a potential pickle here. Just want to be prepared for any points of contention which is why I'm posting while I await a response from my current accountant. I have tried to search for this information before posting.

Context:
    Just completed first year of trading and am now switching to a different accountant. The new accountant has made it clear that they will not be doing my corporation tax and annual return activities for the first year. The accountant I am currently with has been paid a monthly fee to cover their work and they normally do end of year activities around May.

Question:
    As my current accountant has been paid for an entire year on a monthly basis, should they still be on the hook to do my end of year accounts and corporation tax etc? They were paid for their services and they have chosen to defer their work until may.

I don't feel that I should be paying the current accountant after leaving them or the new accountant extra for doing this work that the current accountant had been paid for.

Thanks in advance

Check the engagement letter and see what the service covers. Your monthly payment is just a single charge split out so it's not really paid per month. If you've paid the full yearly charge then you should get the service described in your engagement letter.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

+1

The current accountant should do your year-end accounts and CT return and, maybe, SATR if that's part of the service offer. Some include SATR with a caveat that you continue to be the client at the time of SATR.

I would push them to submit your accounts sooner than later as that would help you to have up-to-date figures with the new accountant and complete the transition asap.

Comment

As previous posters have said this should be covered in your letter of engagement, but I would normally expect previous accountants to prepare your year end accounts provided you had paid at least 12 months fees.

I would suggest you ask the previous accountant to prepare last year's accounts and then let them know of your decision to appoint new accountants after you have got everything you need from them.

Comment

When is your year end? The way you've written your post makes it sound like it was recently and your accountants are waiting until the 9 month deadline is nearly up. This is a pretty poor show in my opinion. Ask for your y/e accounts, etc to be done asap.

I agree with EinsteinTax in that you tell your current accountants of your intention to move after you've got everything you need from them.

Comment

Accounts

+1

If you've paid for the full 12 months then there's no reason why the current guys shouldn't prepare the year end accounts, check your engagement letter to be sure. Also are these guys regulated? If so, you could have a potential route to complain should they not come up with the goods.

Comment

Originally posted by bazinga View Post
              Hello all,

I'm in a bit of a potential pickle here. Just want to be prepared for any points of contention which is why I'm posting while I await a response from my current accountant. I have tried to search for this information before posting.

Context:
              Just completed first year of trading and am now switching to a different accountant. The new accountant has made it clear that they will not be doing my corporation tax and annual return activities for the first year. The accountant I am currently with has been paid a monthly fee to cover their work and they normally do end of year activities around May.

Question:
              As my current accountant has been paid for an entire year on a monthly basis, should they still be on the hook to do my end of year accounts and corporation tax etc? They were paid for their services and they have chosen to defer their work until may.

I don't feel that I should be paying the current accountant after leaving them or the new accountant extra for doing this work that the current accountant had been paid for.

Thanks in advance
              For what reason have they stated ? I would find an alternative new accountant who is willing to do these returns for you. It is important that your changeover between accountants is a smooth as possible and I would want my new accountant bending over backwards to help out.

Comment

Thanks all. There was no letter of engagement but thankfully the previous accountant has confirmed that they will be doing year end accounts and the VAT returns for the final quarter (as my company's year just ended).

I will be sure to confirm with the new accountants how soon after year end will they do the paperwork.

Comment

Working...
                X