• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Proper British behavior

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper British behavior

Model plane fan builds working replica Spitfire in his GARAGE for £18,000 | Daily Mail Online

The flatpack fighter: Model plane fan builds a fully working replica Spitfire in his GARAGE for £18,000 after buying an engine from the Netherlands, seatbelts from America and wheels off eBay
    Alan James, 63, found it cost £5,000 to do a two-day course that gave 40 minutes of flying in a Spitfire
    So the driving instructor from Reading, Berkshire, decided to build his own in his garage for £18,000
    He paid £150 for plans and gave up his business to focus full-time on his project which took three years
    Isaacs Spitfire, 6/10th model of Supermarine Spitfire, designed as single-seat replica to be home-built

you have to admire someone like that.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Awesome!
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Awesome!
      I would have put machine guns on it, personally...

Have to applaud him though.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Huge respect an all but it's less of a war bird and more of a chicken nugget.

The real deal:

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Huge respect an all but it's less of a war bird and more of a chicken nugget.

The real deal:

it was built in a garage for 1/6945 of the cost of a eurofighter
          it is 1.5 times the cost of an original spitfire but a bit of inflation in 76 years will probably take care of that.

£12,604 (Estonian order for 12 Spitfires in 1939) [nb 1]

diary
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Good story. But AMERICAN spelling !

behaviour

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              it was built in a garage for 1/6945 of the cost of a eurofighter
              it is 1.5 times the cost of an original spitfire but a bit of inflation in 76 years will probably take care of that.

£12,604 (Estonian order for 12 Spitfires in 1939) [nb 1]

diary
              I get that it was home made, and cheap. And huge respect for that, I couldn't do it.

But apart from the wings, it's a shocker.

http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                I get that it was home made, and cheap. And huge respect for that, I couldn't do it.

But apart from the wings, it's a shocker.
                Based on the bubble canopy, it looks like a replica of the Spitfire Mk XVI....

RAF BBMF - Spitfire TE311 (Mk LF XVIE)

Comment

The real spitfire was smaller than you think, if the one I drive past at Duxford Museum is full size.

Talking about size, I guess he knew what he was doing. But I'd have thought scaling down the thing would very badly adversely affect its aerodynamics, given that the wings were quite stubby anyway.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Disappointed. Thought this was going to be a thread on tutting, queueing and complaining.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X