• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

We is all fick

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We is all fick

UK lags behind in Pisa rankings linky Doesn't help that no one wants to be a teacher especially in Maths and Science.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    UK lags behind in Pisa rankings linky Doesn't help that no one wants to be a teacher especially in Maths and Science.
    yeah but are Pisa rankings actually relevant.

Do you just end up kids that are robots and can't think outside of what they have been taught?

Comment

Maths, science and engineering have been ignored for decades in the UK. As a contractor in engineering I never got anything like the rates one could get in banking.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yeah but the French & Germans are thicker
        Swiss are definitely bottom drawer.

My take on it

Education is a combination of great teachers who know how to put a point across plus excite students & great students who really want to learn.

Following the footsteps of giants make teachers want to excel.
        Having a fairly strict society helps with discipline.
        Being truly poor tends to make pupils hungry to learn.

We need to look at what Finland & Estonia are doing better than us as well as those orientals that are doing so well.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Maths, science and engineering have been ignored for decades in the UK. As a contractor in engineering I never got anything like the rates one could get in banking.
          The lack of decent physics grads is a cause for concern to my friend who builds mass spectrometers. One of his main concerns is that the gap between GCSE maths and A Level maths is bigger than ever because GCSE league tables have overtaken anything else as a measure in education.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            The lack of decent physics grads is a cause for concern to my friend who builds mass spectrometers. One of his main concerns is that the gap between GCSE maths and A Level maths is bigger than ever because GCSE league tables have overtaken anything else as a measure in education.
            Physics wasn't even offered at GCSE when I was at school. "General Science" was the best I could get. Good old Catholic schools... Two hours a week on Religious Education that could have been better used on something useful (and interesting).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Physics wasn't even offered at GCSE when I was at school. "General Science" was the best I could get. Good old Catholic schools... Two hours a week on Religious Education that could have been better used on something useful (and interesting).
              Physics has the word "theory" all over the place, which translates as "we are just guessing". The word of God is all that matters

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Physics GCSE was so easy compared to A Level as well unfortunately. The snowflake generation were created by the educators unfortunately.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I didn't do Physics GCSE. I did it for O & A levels, but that's cause I'm an old fart.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    And the gap between A-level Maths and university level maths is also high.
                    A-level maths is a joke now compared to when I did it in the 80s, bite sized questions leading you to the answers.
                    Which means university maths has also fallen in standard, since the raw material cannot deal with sophisticated concepts.
                    But that means old farts like me stay in business as the younger generation are so crap, mathematically
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X