PDA

View Full Version : B$&**% Thieves -

SueEllen
11th December 2016, 20:30
Apparently you were all to mean to pay £79 so stole a copy of Clarkson's new program (https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/11/grand-tour-most-illegally-downloaded-tv-programme-jeremy-clarkson).

I hope it wasn't as boring for you as it was for me.

Platypus
11th December 2016, 20:35
Apparently you were all to mean to pay £79 so stole a copy of Clarkson's new program (https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/dec/11/grand-tour-most-illegally-downloaded-tv-programme-jeremy-clarkson).

I hope it wasn't as boring for you as it was for me.

There was a deal on where Prime was available for £59 and I know quite a few who signed up for it.

SueEllen
11th December 2016, 20:47
There was a deal on where Prime was available for £59 and I know quite a few who signed up for it.

Then they will complain next year when it auto-renewals for £79.

SlipTheJab
11th December 2016, 21:19
Equally annoying is their sly attempts to get you to sign up every time you buy something, you can end up joining without realising it if you're not alert when checking out.

DimPrawn
11th December 2016, 21:34
I'm on a 30 day free trial of Prime. I won't be paying at renewal time.

RSoles
11th December 2016, 21:43
Yeah, I got caught out after a purchase and started my second 30-day trial.
Straight into settings and clicked on 'Do not renew'

TestMangler
11th December 2016, 21:51
I've got a lifetime subscription to PirateBay

barrydidit
11th December 2016, 21:56
I've got a lifetime subscription to PirateBay

I bet you still feel cheated

WTFH
11th December 2016, 22:24
I'm on a 30 day free trial of Prime. I won't be paying at renewal time.

It's not a case of paying, you need to contact them to cancel, or they will automatically take the cash.

NickFitz
11th December 2016, 22:46
I've had Prime since they started it, when it was just a "free" delivery thing. I've only started watching any of the video within the last couple of weeks since I got my new telly, though I haven't bothered with the motor car programme.

WTFH
11th December 2016, 23:00
Am I being cynical to think that this story is being released in time for Christmas - all those people wondering what to get their dads - how about Amazon Prime so you can watch that show?

NotAllThere
12th December 2016, 06:20
Or a link to where he can watch it for free.

original PM
12th December 2016, 08:13
I also have prime.

So it is a service which costs £6.58 per month and for that you get

Free delivery on some stuff - very useful this time of year

Lots of free movies, box sets etc - some can be great some can be rubbish

Only real disappointment for me is that kindle books are not included but meh...

So for all those who would rather commit a crime than pay £6.58 a month

1) AYSYACOTBAC
2) Do you regularly steal a bottle of wine from the Off Licence?

amanwhoisquiet
12th December 2016, 08:59
Prime's ace. Being able to plan a(n almost guaranteed) delivery for when you know you're going to be around is worth every penny. If you're studying or something as a proper student - or have a .ac.uk email address somewhere you can probably get it for £39 a year as well - but no family sharing with that. Depending on how much you buy on 'no rush' deliveries means you can get yourself 'free' kindle and mp3 things as well. Every penny's a prisoner.

Also, I'm sure they plan the renewal dates based on the previous year's £59 deal. Let your account lapse for a few weeks to catch the next £59 deal.

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 09:07
Prime's ace. Being able to plan a(n almost guaranteed) delivery for when you know you're going to be around is worth every penny. If you're studying or something as a proper student - or have a .ac.uk email address somewhere you can probably get it for £39 a year as well - but no family sharing with that. Depending on how much you buy on 'no rush' deliveries means you can get yourself 'free' kindle and mp3 things as well. Every penny's a prisoner.

Also, I'm sure they plan the renewal dates based on the previous year's £59 deal. Let your account lapse for a few weeks to catch the next £59 deal.

It auto-renews so you don't have a choice.

They get you signed up for £59 then when it renews they automatically take £79 about 7 days before the renewal date.

However if you ever have any issues with delivery and kick up a fuss they can give you a month to three off pushing your renewal date back 1-3 months.

Willapp
12th December 2016, 09:11
I'm probably going to sound like an Amazon shill but I think for £79 a year it's one of the best value purchases I make. A quick check of my account history shows I placed over 90 orders in 2016 and even allowing for 20% of them not being prime eligible (which is probably high as I tend to check before buying) that still means I've got free next day delivery on 70+ orders so it easily pays for itself, and that's before you factor in the prime movies/tv shows and music.

Yes I know some people don't care about getting things next day, but actually to me it's quite important because usually when I order something it's because I need it and before the days of Prime it was a toss up between getting it cheaper online and waiting 2-3 days for delivery or going to a shop to get it there and then. Nowadays I can order something before 3-5pm one day and have it delivered the next day so I'll do that instead of paying more from a shop. Obviously this isn't great for local businesses and I do fear the day that Amazon becomes so dominant that high street shops disappear and then what's to stop Amazon ramping up their prices, but as a consumer it's not really for me to change that and you can't blame people for wanting the cheapest product.

I can't wait for the day when same-day deliveries are available in my area - I know Amazon are trialing this in some big cities (not sure about the UK but certainly in the US) and that really will be the end of me buying something in a shop, unless I physically can't get it off Amazon or I *need* to see/try it first.

I've also found their customer support to be pretty great when it comes to replacements/refunds, and have even been refunded the difference when something I've ordered is reduced in price just after I bought it.

VectraMan
12th December 2016, 09:13
I don't really understand the freetard mentality, especially amongst those of us that develop software for a living. If all your clients took your work and then didn't pay you'd be on here screaming blue murder, but more importantly you wouldn't be able to do it anymore. We'd all be working in McDonalds instead. If you enjoy watching TV shows then stealing them only makes it less likely there'll be great TV shows in future. And that's just dumb.

Where's my high horse? Oh I'm still sitting on it.

I trialled Prime a couple of years ago, didn't find anything worth watching and cancelled it and trialled Netflix instead. Which I've kept ever since and watch all the time. I have Prime again now, and it's probably worth it just for the deliveries. Actually I thought this week's Grand Tour was rather good, unlike the previous three which were firmly in the okay but not great category.

Considering that if Clarkson and co. had gone to Sky it would have cost about £400 per year to watch AND you'd have had adverts in the programme, then both Prime and Netflix are remarkably good value for money.

vetran
12th December 2016, 09:48
I don't really understand the freetard mentality, especially amongst those of us that develop software for a living. If all your clients took your work and then didn't pay you'd be on here screaming blue murder, but more importantly you wouldn't be able to do it anymore. We'd all be working in McDonalds instead. If you enjoy watching TV shows then stealing them only makes it less likely there'll be great TV shows in future. And that's just dumb.

I trialled Prime a couple of years ago, didn't find anything worth watching and cancelled it and trialled Netflix instead. Which I've kept ever since and watch all the time. I have Prime again now, and it's probably worth it just for the deliveries. Actually I thought this week's Grand Tour was rather good, unlike the previous three which were firmly in the okay but not great category.

Considering that if Clarkson and co. had gone to Sky it would have cost about £400 per year to watch AND you'd have had adverts in the programme, then both Prime and Netflix are remarkably good value for money.

+1

OK the Grand tour may not be your cup of tea but it is very popular in its new format.

'The Grand Tour' Breaks Viewing Records As Amazon Prime's Top-Ranking Original Show | The Huffington Post (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/the-grand-tour-amazon-prime-top-original-show_uk_58341f15e4b09025ba334dcd)

The Grand Tour (TV Series 2016– ) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5712554/)

Unfortunately the luvvies don't like it.

BBC review of Jeremy Clarkson's Grand Tour brands show 'uncomfortably hubristic' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/18/bbc-review-of-jeremy-clarksons-grand-tour-brands-show-uncomforta/)

BBC review of Jeremy Clarkson's Grand Tour brands show 'uncomfortably hubristic'

I watched & enjoyed it I'm no petrol head.

There is some great stuff on Prime which considering it costs £79 a year is a bargain. Sometimes you find things cheaper than prime but mostly its the best price & next day delivery, It also sets the expectation delivery should be free.

Currently enjoying Braindead (which after Trump only seems mildly wild), The Girlfriend Experience, Mad Dogs there are plenty of others

amanwhoisquiet
12th December 2016, 09:51
It auto-renews so you don't have a choice.

They get you signed up for £59 then when it renews they automatically take £79 about 7 days before the renewal date.

However if you ever have any issues with delivery and kick up a fuss they can give you a month to three off pushing your renewal date back 1-3 months.

I misspoke there. I meant that I reckon they don't have £59 deals exactly 12mo apart to prevent you easily keeping on the discount gravy-train.

The_Equalizer
12th December 2016, 09:59
The wife got six months free as she is a student (undertaking a Masters). Even at £79 - given the price people pay for Sky/Virgin etc - I think it's good. Thought the Grand Tour enjoyable. Slight air of Clarkson/Hammond/May of men that have too much cash and don't give a stuff anymore. Lots of interesting films if you dig about. Watched Wild Bill (directed by Dexter Fletcher) which was good.

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 10:02
I misspoke there. I meant that I reckon they don't have £59 deals exactly 12mo apart to prevent you easily keeping on the discount gravy-train.

Their terms and conditions are such that you can't keep signing up for the £59 a year deal. However I don't believe they exclude others in your household for doing so.

sal
12th December 2016, 10:14
I can't wait for the day when same-day deliveries are available in my area - I know Amazon are trialing this in some big cities (not sure about the UK but certainly in the US) and that really will be the end of me buying something in a shop, unless I physically can't get it off Amazon or I *need* to see/try it first.

It's in for London, or at least parts of it and it's great.

People seem to think that the £79/year for Prime is for the streaming video only or even worse - paywall for the Grand Tour, which is wrong. The primary purpose of the sub is free next day delivery on large portion of the items sold in Amazon. The free streaming video and music, photo storage etc. are a bonus.

If you don't need the next day delivery you can pick no-rush delivery and get credit for Video, music or kindle book purchases.

You can also setup Amazon family with your Prime and get 20% off nappies and up to 20% on large number of everyday items if you subscribe for them. For me just this is paying off the Prime sub.

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 10:30
It's in for London, or at least parts of it and it's great.

People seem to think that the £79/year for Prime is for the streaming video only or even worse - paywall for the Grand Tour, which is wrong. The primary purpose of the sub is free next day delivery on large portion of the items sold in Amazon. The free streaming video and music, photo storage etc. are a bonus.

If you don't need the next day delivery you can pick no-rush delivery and get credit for Video, music or kindle book purchases.

You can also setup Amazon family with your Prime and get 20% off nappies and up to 20% on large number of everyday items if you subscribe for them. For me just this is paying off the Prime sub.

And stuff will still arrive next day rather than when they say - :tantrum:

vetran
12th December 2016, 10:31
And stuff will still arrive next day rather than when they say - :tantrum:

but you get £1 credit.

vwdan
12th December 2016, 10:38
I use Prime for general Amazon stuff and I'm very impressed, but I actually resorted to pirating the Grand Tour because their streaming service is certifiably wank.

HD via Android & Google ChromeCast: Nope
HD via PC & Google ChromeCast: Nope
HD via PC & HDMI: Nope
HD on PC at all: Nope (I'm told all this is due to some DRM tulip and my GFX card. I don't give a **** - it's wank)
Apple TV: Nope

I did eventually figure out that you can play it on iPad via Apple TV which worked sufficiently, but I can't say I'm impressed.

vetran
12th December 2016, 10:41
I use Prime for general Amazon stuff and I'm very impressed, but I actually resorted to pirating the Grand Tour because their streaming service is certifiably wank.

HD on PC at all: Nope (I'm told all this is due to some DRM tulip and my GFX card. I don't give a **** - it's wank)

I did eventually figure out that you can play it on iPad via Apple TV which worked sufficiently, but I can't say I'm impressed.

tried Fire stick or fire tv.

vetran
12th December 2016, 10:41
You might have this

Homeowner furious as van delivering Amazon Christmas present crashes into her garage | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4022692/You-used-chimney-Homeowner-furious-van-delivering-surprise-Amazon-Christmas-present-crashes-garage.html)

You could have used the chimney! Homeowner furious as van delivering surprise Amazon Christmas present crashes into her garage
Delivery van commissioned by Amazon collided with a garage in Bucklebury
The vehicle ended up embedded in a family's garage in the Berkshire village
Kirsty Adams is demanding an apology from the global giant over incident

vwdan
12th December 2016, 10:44
tried Fire stick or fire tv.

No, because I don't have either of them and I'm loathe to buy them for just one thing. To be honest, that's a fib - I actually quite fancied one and did consider it, but then I got irritated and bitter at Amazons closed platform so now I'm going to download it instead

original PM
12th December 2016, 10:50

I use a pS4 to stream and it is fine.

And I have just noticed you can get music on prime........

vwdan
12th December 2016, 10:51
I use a pS4 to stream and it is fine.

And I have just noticed you can get music on prime........

Yeah, that'd be a bit of hard sell to the Mrs though!

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 10:52
but you get £1 credit.

That's not the point.

If they say something arrives on Wednesday and it is something they aren't suppose to give to the neighbours, but it arrives on Monday when you aren't in then it can get "lost". So you have to spend 10 minutes navigating the Amazon site then another 10 minutes waiting then talking to an operator to ensure it arrives when specified.

vwdan
12th December 2016, 10:54
Their terms and conditions are such that you can't keep signing up for the £59 a year deal. However I don't believe they exclude others in your household for doing so.

Until I got bored of doing so (and actually started using Prime quite a lot), I just kept signing up with new e-mail accounts to get the free trial. I did.....quite a few, and never had any come back.

VectraMan
12th December 2016, 11:00

Yep. It did piss me off (and put me off) that I couldn't use it with the Chromecast like I did with Netflix, but of course Amazon want to push their alternative. Now I have a TV with it built in; in fact my old 5 year old Sony TV also had an Amazon app but it was so poor and clunky I didn't want to use it. Even on my newish LG TV the app is crap compared to the Netflix one, though it plays back perfectly in 4K so no complaints about that part, it's just the apps and the device support they need to work on.

sal
12th December 2016, 11:21

Yeah it's annoying as hell, fortunately for me all TVs at home are Sony and have the app native, even the newest one with Android TV for OS. You even get some freebie 4K content with Prime

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 11:23
Until I got bored of doing so (and actually started using Prime quite a lot), I just kept signing up with new e-mail accounts to get the free trial. I did.....quite a few, and never had any come back.

As the email addresses are different you are a different person according to Amazon.

NickFitz
12th December 2016, 12:45
Yeah it's annoying as hell, fortunately for me all TVs at home are Sony and have the app native, even the newest one with Android TV for OS. You even get some freebie 4K content with Prime

I've been using the Amazon app that was preinstalled on the telly, and it's also preinstalled on the Blu-ray player I bought a year or two ago.

I've been watching The Man in the High Castle in 4K, and had no trouble at all with streaming, though the app's UI is a bit busy and clunky before getting to the actual "play" button.

Though I occasionally get distracted thinking "They put that shot in just so I'd marvel at the level of detail" :laugh

original PM
12th December 2016, 14:14
Yeah, that'd be a bit of hard sell to the Mrs though!

Down to £230 now probably cheaper if you shop around......

Hobosapien
12th December 2016, 14:15
Season 2 of The Man In the High Castle starts this Friday, 16th December. :banana:

Had prime for a while and other than that show and Halt And Catch Fire and Mr Robot I've watched very little via prime video. Most of the newer/better content requires additional fees. Have used the prime next day delivery extensively though, saved me many a trip to the nearest town (8 miles) or city (15 miles) for things I want quickly while I've been 'working' at home. So the annual sub has probably been paid for in what I've save in petrol. :)

Grand Tour hasn't kept me interested, too similar to the tripe that Top Gear turned into. Hoped they'd have done something fresher with the supposed extra freedom Amazon offered them over the BBC. A few naughty words in the scripted dialog doesn't really cut it. :tired

d000hg
12th December 2016, 15:11
Then they will complain next year when it auto-renewals for £79.

Yeah, I got caught out after a purchase and started my second 30-day trial.
Straight into settings and clicked on 'Do not renew'

Amazon are from experience great at this issue. They don't force you to phone up, you can just click a button. And if you forget, they'd cancel it I'm pretty sure.

NotAllThere
12th December 2016, 15:55

...Good view from up here, isn't it. One of my friends downloads films; the classics and new film as soon as they become available, regardless of quality. He says it's "for the kids". As a result, the kids have seen all the classic films way before they've been able to really appreciate them (and don't watch them again as "already seen that", and they've never been to the cinema. And it's not as though he can't afford it. I really don't understand the mentality of having to have the latest films immediately. I'm happy to wait a few months.

Currently watching Netflix's Dirk Gently. Violent, quite grisly and very very funny.

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 16:12
Good view from up here, isn't it. One of my friends downloads films; the classics and new film as soon as they become available, regardless of quality. He says it's "for the kids". As a result, the kids have seen all the classic films way before they've been able to really appreciate them (and don't watch them again as "already seen that", and they've never been to the cinema. And it's not as though he can't afford it. I really don't understand the mentality of having to have the latest films immediately. I'm happy to wait a few months.

Currently watching Netflix's Dirk Gently. Violent, quite grisly and very very funny.

Oddly enough I've been using my Prime subscription recently to watch of films. Some I've seen before others I've not. If a film is good enough watching a few times shouldn't be an issue.

vwdan
12th December 2016, 17:37
Good view from up here, isn't it. One of my friends downloads films; the classics and new film as soon as they become available, regardless of quality. He says it's "for the kids". As a result, the kids have seen all the classic films way before they've been able to really appreciate them (and don't watch them again as "already seen that", and they've never been to the cinema. And it's not as though he can't afford it. I really don't understand the mentality of having to have the latest films immediately. I'm happy to wait a few months.

I'm in no way justifying it, but content providers have historically taken the piss with regards to distribution and rights. Look at region locking - just for living in the UK we got the privilege of waiting months and paying a premium because our DVD players had been deliberately crippled.

I completely agree with your sentiment, but the big boys dug their heels in and tried their damnedest to keep the industry from changing. Fortunately they lost the war.

Take Spotify - I can't remember the last time I even touched an MP3 because it's so damned convenient. Meanwhile I still can't output certain legit streaming services to HDMI (4OD).

I pay for Netflix because it's cheap and great when i want it. I use Spotify all the damned time. And we rent loads of films via the Apple TV because it's a doddle. But then you get other services where it's literally easier to just download it.

d000hg
12th December 2016, 18:02
I also have prime.

So it is a service which costs £6.58 per month and for that you get

Free delivery on some stuff - very useful this time of year

Lots of free movies, box sets etc - some can be great some can be rubbish

Only real disappointment for me is that kindle books are not included but meh...

So for all those who would rather commit a crime than pay £6.58 a month

1) AYSYACOTBAC
2) Do you regularly steal a bottle of wine from the Off Licence?You get SOME kindle content don't you? The Library feature possibly not that I use it. Music is the big one you leave off; with Android/iOS devices you can download even Prime video and music to your device which is really handy.

Prime's ace. Being able to plan a(n almost guaranteed) delivery for when you know you're going to be around is worth every penny.Guaranteeing just the day is not that useful, a guaranteed 1-4 hour slot would be preferable. Obviously it varies what they can do depending where you live.

original PM
12th December 2016, 18:15
You get SOME kindle content don't you? The Library feature possibly not that I use it. Music is the big one you leave off; with Android/iOS devices you can download even Prime video and music to your device which is really handy.

Guaranteeing just the day is not that useful, a guaranteed 1-4 hour slot would be preferable. Obviously it varies what they can do depending where you live.

Not sue I get any kindle stuff but will check

And yeah loads of music to be had.....

If I said I only just found out and have had prime for a year would you think me a muppets???

Think we tried the trial this time last year and let it renew because for 7 quid a month why the hell not!!

Clearly iacutbac

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 18:25

If I said I only just found out and have had prime for a year would you think me a muppets???

Nope.

If everyone made use of all Amazon services they would either have to put the price up or remove stuff.

vetran
12th December 2016, 19:10

Think we tried the trial this time last year and let it renew because for 7 quid a month why the hell not!!

Clearly iacutbac

they didn't advertise it all that well.

works well with Alexa (much clearer name than echo for Amazon's marketing geeks) "Alexa Shuffle play <Artist>" comes from the 2 million songs

Platypus
12th December 2016, 20:26
they didn't advertise it all that well.

works well with Alexa (much clearer name than echo for Amazon's marketing geeks) "Alexa Shuffle play <Artist>" comes from the 2 million songs

Same issue here. I've had Prime since they introduced it and I didn't know there was any music included :o

But I've saved a small fortune in delivery charges so I'm pretty happy anyway. TGT is a bonus really, I find their other TV/film either too old ("seen it") or also available on Netflix. Mostly. I didn't like Mr.Robot.

vetran
12th December 2016, 21:37
Same issue here. I've had Prime since they introduced it and I didn't know there was any music included :o

But I've saved a small fortune in delivery charges so I'm pretty happy anyway. TGT is a bonus really, I find their other TV/film either too old ("seen it") or also available on Netflix. Mostly. I didn't like Mr.Robot.

Braindead, The Girlfriend Experience, Halt & Catch Fire, Betas, Constantine are all exclusive I think, very good.

quackhandle
12th December 2016, 21:57
I don't stream footy anymore I listen to it on the wireless/sterogram.

And before that I would "watch" a game on Ceefax. (ask yer parents kids).

Tight? Me? Yup. :glasses

qh

d000hg
12th December 2016, 22:59
We're enjoying Bosch and the free films are better selection than Netflix. Shame the video interface (on PS3 at least) is so terrible - really bad UX.