PDA

View Full Version : Is there any point going 1st on Heathrow Express?

d000hg
12th December 2016, 13:11
Contractor "My butler refuses to book anything other than 1st-class for me" bravado aside ;) - on a 15 minute trip is there really any point? Is it just for people who like going 1st for the sake of it?

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 13:14
Yep.

Poorer people take the tube.

Or one of the services that stops more.

barrydidit
12th December 2016, 13:14
Please tell me you're actually standing at the ticket booth waiting for CUK to tell you what to do :laugh

d000hg
12th December 2016, 13:17
Please tell me you're actually standing at the ticket booth waiting for CUK to tell you what to do :laugh

Sorry to disappoint. Looking months ahead, just noticed they do advance discounts especially at weekends.

stek
12th December 2016, 13:50
Sorry to disappoint. Looking months ahead, just noticed they do advance discounts especially at weekends.

I got first class on the Øresundstog to Malmø a week or two back, honestly couldn't tell the difference.

BrilloPad
12th December 2016, 13:52
Go 2nd then tell everyone on CUK you went first. JUst don't tell MF or you will give him ideas...

d000hg
12th December 2016, 13:54
Go 2nd then tell everyone on CUK you went first. JUst don't tell MF or you will give him ideas...

As Sue says, using the Express is like 1st compared with tube anyway.

Platypus
12th December 2016, 14:03
No point, the standard carriages are pretty nice and it's only a 15 min journey. Poor people take the tube.

ladymuck
12th December 2016, 14:30
Nope. No point. If they served a dirty martini and a few nibbles it might be worth the extra. The wifi will be just as tulip as everywhere else on the train

They claim the first carriages are closer to the exits but that's a negligible benefit

chef
12th December 2016, 14:33
I got first class on the Øresundstog to Malmø a week or two back, honestly couldn't tell the difference.

if you travel at rush hour then you'll easily notice the difference, the main difference being you actually get a seat and you dont have people stood next to you in the aisles.

stek
12th December 2016, 14:36
if you travel at rush hour then you'll easily notice the difference, the main difference being you actually get a seat and you dont have people stood next to you in the aisles.

That is true, but the actual seating/compartment is hardly any different, and no free grub/beer!

MrMarkyMark
12th December 2016, 14:38
Contractor "My butler refuses to book anything other than 1st-class for me" bravado aside ;) - on a 15 minute trip is there really any point? Is it just for people who like going 1st for the sake of it?

No.

Next!

vetran
12th December 2016, 14:58
no

Unless you are paying for 15 minutes with NLYUK its not worth upgrading for that length of time.

Say's the man that catches the bus home from the Airport.

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 16:20

Rush hour on some trains first class means you get slightly more standing room.

Though in those cases I prefer standard class as you are not stuck with braying toffs.

northernladyuk
12th December 2016, 16:27
Try these guys. Helicopter Transfers London (http://www.helicoptertransferslondon.com/)

blackeye
12th December 2016, 19:22
As a Londoner I refuse to take the Heathrow express. It's the most expensive form of public transport per mile in the country.

Unless you're a princess you should just get on the tube and ride it out for £4.

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 19:45
As a Londoner I refuse to take the Heathrow express. It's the most expensive form of public transport per mile in the country.

Unless you're a princess you should just get on the tube and ride it out for £4.

Tube's boring.

ladymuck
12th December 2016, 20:10
I only pay £8.75 for a return

#perksofaHALpass

Platypus
12th December 2016, 20:22

IIRC it's the most expensive form of public transport per mile in the WORLD !

MrMarkyMark
12th December 2016, 20:22

Executive car, with a matching driver for me.

Guess I'm actually a princess :D

No need to rough it :smokin

greenlake
12th December 2016, 22:40
Executive car, with a matching driver for me.

Guess I'm actually a princess :D

http://i.imgur.com/j51KdPW.jpg

d000hg
12th December 2016, 22:56
IIRC it's the most expensive form of public transport per mile in the WORLD !Possibly because it's connecting one of the biggest, busiest cities in the world with one of the biggest, busiest airports in the world.

You can take the tube so it's a luxury, therefore no need to make it cheap. It's like the M6-toll of trains.

SueEllen
12th December 2016, 23:13
Possibly because it's connecting one of the biggest, busiest cities in the world with one of the biggest, busiest airports in the world.

You can take the tube so it's a luxury, therefore no need to make it cheap. It's like the M6-toll of trains.

I would just hire a taxi...

d000hg
13th December 2016, 01:39
Wouldn't that take longer AND cost much more?

SueEllen
13th December 2016, 10:06
Wouldn't that take longer AND cost much more?

It wouldn't cost more than the Heathrow Express if there are 3-4 of you.

It may take slightly longer but how long depends on when you are travelling.

In addition unlike the Heathrow Express you wouldn't feel like you have been ripped off.

d000hg
13th December 2016, 10:13
I don't feel ripped off - if I did I'd take the tube.

Fair point if there are 4 of you. But my only experience of getting an airport taxi in London it took ages. To be fair that was on marathon day but driving in central London just seems daft.