• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How does the Tory government help the man in the street?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does the Tory government help the man in the street?

Serious question, asking coz there are some smart people on here as well as the usual bevvy of dunces, and I'm interested in your thoughts on this.

How would you answer the question (à la Life of Brian) "what has the Tory government ever done for us?"

Labourites, feel free to chip in with what Labour has achieved, or how/why the Tories haven't helped.

P.S. My homework has to be handed in on Friday, so quickity quick now! But I'd appreciate some serious answers before the thread degenerates as per normal.

The "man in the street" is rather a broad brush grouping. Truth be told, I am not sure that they do help them very much.
    I think that they pin their hopes on the fact that if they help big businesses be profitable then the knock-on effects will trickle down, and ultimately provide jobs and security for those further down the food chain.
    That might well have been true a few decades ago, but nowadays I reckon too much of the company profit ends up in the pockets of the shareholders and the CEOs, and too little of it cascades down.
    For those at the bottom, their likelihood of reward is further hindered by the fact that there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of cheap labour available to unscrupulous employers, due in no small part to our membership of the EU.
    Latterly though, many have seen through this and hence we are on the cusp of a Brexit.
    The best that can be said about the Tories is that they are probably the least bad of an appalling collection of options.
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Interesting question. I've voted Tory all my life but then they're the party of my class (well educated very high rate tax payers). I'm not sure what they've given the working class. Thatcher ruined manufacturing, the Tories have always been ok with national assets being sold to foreigners. Post Brexit it seems they're planning another shafting of the working class.
      Recently I've concluded I can't vote for them again, but a sensible centre right party doesn't exist.
      To answer your question, I don't really know.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

The Tory government is the most likely to keep the economy stable compared to the alternative of our main opposition run by Corbyn. Corbyn has no policies.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

There is no real help and with Brexit "man in the street" is going to get bent next year when inflation hits (including rents due to new tax on landlords)...

Comment

In recent years the race to the bottom has been perpetuated by all political parties, most noticeably Thatcher onward.

Orwell Must be peeing his bloody britches
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              There is no real help and with Brexit "man in the street" is going to get bent next year when inflation hits (including rents due to new tax on landlords)...
              Yup, it's happening already, but will get worse in the next year or so.
              Be interesting to see what happens when Brexiters find out they're going to be worse off permanently.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Be interesting to see what happens when Brexiters find out they're going to be worse off permanently.
                Most of them will be hit the hardest and Brexit has not even started - HM Gov negotiating via the press looks more like wishful thinking of amateurs.

Comment

Hello Atw
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Is this about Tory Govt or Brexit?

Comment

Working...
                    X