• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swindon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swindon

"Now one peer-to-peer company, Abundance Investment, is offering two bonds that can be held within its Innovative Finance Isa.

The first is issued by Thrive Renewables, a renewable energy company, and is a seven-year bond that pays 5pc a year. There is a £5 minimum for online investments, or £250 with a paper application.

Thrive aims to raise £7.5m to invest in projects around Britain, including wind and solar farms.

The second is issued by Swindon Borough Council and will pay an average annual return of 6pc over a 20-year term, paid in twice-yearly instalments. There is a £5 minimum investment."

Source: 'Crowdfunded' bonds pose new risks to Isa savers

I wonder if Swindon's Council can be trusted with money for the next 20 years

They sound as bad as each other.

How many old codgers live in Swindon???? Or do they all kill themselves of before they need the council to pay for social care?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      How many old codgers live in Swindon????
      One moved out some years ago...

Comment

My grandparents used to live in Gorse Hill.

That was before they dumped en masse all those, err, down at heel cockneys on the area in some misguided, post war social engineering experiment..

Something that was, I believe, also repeated in Bodmin along with, no doubt, various other places.

Worked out well that did

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
          My grandparents used to live in Gorse Hill.

That was before they dumped en masse all those, err, down at heel cockneys on the area in some misguided, post war social engineering experiment..

Something that was, I believe, also repeated in Bodmin along with, no doubt, various other places.

Worked out well that did
          It was repeated in quite a lot of other places. The ones I know in the Home Counties are in places like Essex, Buckinghamshire and West Sussex. In some of the places they eventually created new towns which is why we have lovely places like Milton Keynes in others they just built estates.

What's funny is unless you happen to end up there for various reasons and ask someone well-read "Why is there a 60s council estate* next to these these lovely houses?" You don't know.

*Some of the estates were started in the 50s but the bits you notice are the 60s architecture. The because they built them with green space around them later in the 80s and 90s they dumped more housing there.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I wonder if Swindon's Council can be trusted with money for the next 20 years
            Sure....as long as you look the other way....

Comment

Working...
            X