• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Winding down ltd co.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winding down ltd co.

Am thinking of winding down my ltd co (and claim entrepreneurial relief).

Been told if I have more than £25K in the account, I must go through a liquidator, which charges a fee.

Can someone please tell me roughly how much this would cost and why is there such a disparity between them?

Assuming I have £100K in my account. If I paid a liquidator £10K, does that mean the rest (£90K) will be taxed at 10%, leaving me with £81K or is it a tiered system?

Thanks
    Last edited by smileyface; 14 December 2016, 17:12.

A search would have helped you get a better idea.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mv...obile&ie=UTF-8

A simple google search might have been a good idea as well.

I am sure Mr Maslin will be delighted to hear you are willing to pay someone 10k to do this.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smileyface View Post

Been told if I have more than £25K in the account, I must go through a liquidator, which charges a fee.

Can someone please tell me roughly how much this would cost and why is there such a disparity between them?

Assuming I have £100K in my account. If I paid a liquidator £10K, does that man the rest (£90K) will be taxed at 10%, leaving me with £81K or is it a tiered system?

Thanks
      You need to appoint some extra directors and give them a company car each. You then get into financial difficulties and the directors offer to buy the company cars at a knock down price to help the company. Oh dear, only £4k left in the bank, I must pay my mate (£3,900) who designed my website. Oh dear, nothing left.

Alternatively, read how the directors of Rover did it
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Assuming I have £100K in my account. If I paid a liquidator £10K, does that man the rest (£90K) will be taxed at 10%, leaving me with £81K or is it a tiered system?

Thanks
        If you send me £75k you wouldn't have to bother with those pesky liquidators. And who can put a price on a stress free existence?

Comment

Thanks
          1. Post in the Accounting forum
          2. Liquidator shouldn't cos more than £2k to £3k
          3. Your £100k number should be after all company liabilities (tax, loans etc) have been accounted for.
          4. You might find it beneficial to use your PAYE and dividend allowances prior to liquidation
          5. CGT allowance will give you £11k gain tax free (or whatever the allowance is now)
          6. The rest will be taxed at 10% ... IF the liquidation is approved by HMRC as allowable for ER.

Comment

And you can't contract for the next 2 years.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                And you can't contract for the next 2 years.
                can you through a brollie I assume?
                Last edited by saptastic; 14 December 2016, 17:34.

Comment

I'd open a duplicate thread if I were you.....

Comment

Working...
                  X