• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting for Norwegian company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting for Norwegian company

Hi,

I have recently been offered a direct contract with a Norwegian company - however the work will be carried out at a UK based subsidiary. Does anyone have any experience of this (or similar)? In particular, I'm not sure how this works regarding VAT.

Looking at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-how-...ly-of-services I assume that my Place of Supply is the UK and my Place of Belonging is the UK, so I should charge VAT.

I am about to start searching for information but I thought I would ask here first in case people have direct experience of this.

Regards,
    Normie

it depends.

Who will your contract be with? Best bet is if the UK sub is a company registered in England/Wales. That's the simplest as the actual ownership is not your concern.

If it's with the Norwegian company then you may want some professional help. Have they a contract they want you to use or are you providing one?
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

WHS. I work direct for the UK subsidary of a US company and it makes no difference whatsoever. If you're invoicing the Norwegian company directly you'd have to check, but my understanding is that you wouldn't charge VAT (assuming the client is VAT registered) but you may still have to record it on your VAT return if an EU country. Of course Norway is not in the EU...
      Last edited by VectraMan; 14 December 2016, 11:05.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
      X