• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Securing That 2nd Contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Securing That 2nd Contract

Hey,

OK as a brand spanking (an therefor completely novice and misguided) contractor I'm now looking into how I can get the all important 2nd contract. I'm on a standard 6 monther at the moment but it's taking all my time up so cant really fit another contract in at the same time. Looks like it wont be up for renewal either so what's the best way to go about getting the next one in all of your opinions? Go back to the agent or trawl through the web? Basically, what's worked best for you guys? You've been at this a lot longer than me I expect.

Cheers

Start putting yourself about a bit when you have about a month or so left on your current gig. Update CV and get it on Jobserve etc, start chasing agents, follwing up adverts. The usual routine. Not much point in doing it earlier as most want a quick start rather than waiting 3 months.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Be in the know with Vaughan Vanderberg

There's a brilliant chapter on exactly this subject in "The IT Contractor Guide" by Vaughan Vanderburg. Get your copy RIGHT NOW from www.itcontractorguide.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan
        Hey,

OK as a brand spanking (an therefor completely novice and misguided) contractor
        Cheers
        Don't worry, DTM, about 99% of the contractors on here are completely misguided.

Being a newbie to this game, at least you have a good reason for it.

Comment

can someone show me the way to the general forum???
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Originally posted by kramer
            can someone show me the way to the general forum???
            Just go to the top of the site page, click on CUK forums, then you will see an itemised list of site categories. Read down the list carefully, to see which one you want. In your case, it's GENERAL. This is the one at the very top spelt exactly as I have spelt it (if you don't know how to spell it). Then click into this and you will see an itemised list of threads down the left hand side. Click on the thread you actually want to read......

Comment

"Looks like it wont be up for renewal"

The trick is to arrange things that so that further work is your decision, not your customer's.

Comment

See, the last reply is something that is helpful. Having never negotiated contracts before it would be handy to know ways to achieve this.

As for the patronising crap from Kramer... pity you can't be as funny as the show mate.

Comment

Originally posted by white-anglo-reactionary
                  There's a brilliant chapter on exactly this subject in "The IT Contractor Guide" by Vaughan Vanderburg. Get your copy RIGHT NOW from www.itcontractorguide.com
                  for a mere £X pounds...

Or you can keep reading on here for nothing.

REMEMBER Newbies: only pay for advice when it's worth it and they (hopefully) know what they're talking about. Accountants, solicitors, ITIL consultants and the like...
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Dan - expect nothing from current agent, chances of him having the right role for you at the right time are remote to say the least. Note - despite sounding like your best friend, this is an illusion, they work for the client and are just keeping you sweet.
                    With 3-4 weeks to go, time to get in the game, get on the job boards and start to target a few jobs. You might get some issues because your end date is a couple of weeks away - make it very clear in the note with your CV that you are definately leaving current role. If they think there is a chance you will renew or are testing the water, they will pick someone more available (less likely to change mind if they get offered the job).
                    Basically - treat this as if you are looking for your first job, current role adds value to CV but it and current agent will not help and will likely hinder the process.
                    Stay confident, once the doubts set in, it becomes a struggle to get the right role/rate unless you are in high demand, even a couple of weeks on the bench can knock you down a bit.
                    Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X