• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KODI and Chromecast?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KODI and Chromecast?

I am new to KODI but as I am away from home mostly at the moment I thought about using fairly regularly to watch stuff. I understand that KODI cannot be installed natively on a Chromecast. It appears that you have to run KODI on your Android (or other) device and "cast" the stream to the Chromecast. Is anyone here doing this, or is it better to buy one of the cheapo (about GBP 32) Android/KODI boxes from Amazon? Thanks.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

No, but I use Plex on Chromecast which surely amounts to the same thing. I found some instructions for Kodi and it seems like a bit of a PITA, but doable.

Installing something on the Chromecast is the wrong question. Just be sure you're not casting the screen to Chromecast (which will be crap), but casting the stream.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      No, but I use Plex on Chromecast which surely amounts to the same thing. I found some instructions for Kodi and it seems like a bit of a PITA, but doable.

Installing something on the Chromecast is the wrong question. Just be sure you're not casting the screen to Chromecast (which will be crap), but casting the stream.
      Ahhhh, yes, I see. It seems the logical thing is to cast the screen to the Chromecast with KODI running.

But it seems an app called LocalCast is recommended, perhaps that casts the stream rather than the screen? Excuse the numpty questions. I am very new to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Ahhhh, yes, I see. It seems the logical thing is to cast the screen to the Chromecast with KODI running.

But it seems an app called LocalCast is recommended, perhaps that casts the stream rather than the screen? Excuse the numpty questions. I am very new to this.
        The way chromecast works is that despite the fact there are no "native" apps running on it, it still needs components of the app in question on it to negotiate with the casting device - phone, tablet, PC etc. that runs the full app. AFAIK there is no native support for KODI for chromecast and you have to use screen casting app to supported by Chromecast, which is not ideal as the casting device needs to remain switched on. With a native app the casting device acts like a remote and just hands over the content/stream to the chromecast.

You might be better off with a cheapo KODI HDMI stick

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          The way chromecast works is that despite the fact there are no "native" apps running on it, it still needs components of the app in question on it to negotiate with the casting device - phone, tablet, PC etc. that runs the full app. AFAIK there is no native support for KODI for chromecast and you have to use screen casting app to supported by Chromecast, which is not ideal as the casting device needs to remain switched on. With a native app the casting device acts like a remote and just hands over the content/stream to the chromecast.
          I'm not sure "components" is really accurate, but clearly the Chromecast needs to be able to access the stream. I can cast an HTML5 video from a web page, and it does that by sending the URL to the Chromecast; i.e. the Chromecast then plays http:// ... whatever.mp4. So clearly that could work with any system that makes the video accessible as a URL without needing any kind of locally installed components.

It looks like LocalCast acts as a kind of proxy server, making your phone/tablet into a webserver to make the URL available to Chromecast. At least I think that's what's going on. I don't know why that would be the case; with Plex the controller just gives the Chromecast the URL to play from the server. Though given that Chromecast is pretty well known, and that Kodi is pretty well known, you have to wonder why Kodi don't simply support it like others do.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thanks very much for the comments. I have learned quite a bit. My gut feel was that an Android box running Kodi and plugged directly into the HDMI port on the telly is a better option quality wise. Quite a few to choose from on Amazon from around £32 so not a lot dearer than a Chromecast.

Comment

with the Android boxes check the version currently 6 Marshmallow they only support the previous major so version 4 is old hat.

KODI 17 is supposed to be a bit bigger so will need a beefier box > 2GB Ram > 8GB NAND so don't buy too cheap.

Alledgedly KODI 17 will run on the latest Fire TV sticks (just released with Alexa) so £40-50 and if you are a Prime customer its a steal. Just load KODI on that, 16 works OK on the old sticks not terribly fast but more than acceptable.

Miracast (Consortium) & Aircast (Apple) are similar to Chromecast but better supported. Or use DNLA from the fire stick from something like a DLink sharecentre (about £50 without drives) then you just select it like a locally stored file and play it.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Thanks very much for the tip. I wasn't aware of a new Kodi release. I agree with you, if I get an Android box it has to be v6.

Edited to add - Follow up question - I stumbled across a Raspberry pi Kodi solution. I think I could manage to assemble this, doesn't look like it needs any soldering or anything. It seems the OS and Kodi are pre-installed in the SD card. Would it be a better solution than one of the Chinese Kodi boxes on Amazon do you think? Myself, I have no experience of the Raspberry pi but I don't mind a bit of tinkering.

https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...nt=17986632452
                Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 21 December 2016, 04:30. Reason: Added R pi question.

Comment

I use videocast for chrome, great little add on for chrome, just select the file and it streams it to my chrome cast

Comment

Originally posted by nc1 View Post
                    I use videocast for chrome, great little add on for chrome, just select the file and it streams it to my chrome cast
                    Thanks, I'll look it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X