• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pleased Not I Am

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pleased Not I Am

Jediism not a religion, Charity Commission rules - BBC News

Disgraceful. As if there's some omnipresent god character anyway.

Well I will still be observing Star Wars day on May the 4th.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

"The commission said to be classed as a religion it must have a positive beneficial impact on society in general and raised concerns that Jediism may, in part, have an "inward focus" on its members."

Maybe instead of being "inward" they should adopt some of the other religions traits, either past or present:

Suppression of free thought
    Misogyny
    Crusade
    Jihad
    Sex abuse
    Patriarchal supremacy
    False hope
    Intolerance of difference
    Slavery
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I am surprised they did not get sued by trigger happy Spowners of Star Wars franchise...

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Disgraceful. As if there's some omnipresent god character anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Well I will still be observing Star Wars day on May the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
            You sir seem to spend your days plumbing the depths of t'internet finding the worst photos ever.

Hats off

Good job!!!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              You sir seem to spend your days plumbing the depths of t'internet finding the worst photos ever.

Comment

All religions are bollux. Founders of the more modern one like Smith, Hubbard, Miller, are known to be fraudulent or deluded. Any real facts about Moses, Christ, Muhammad etc., if they even existed, have been lost in the mists of time but they would have been been no different.

The only positives of religion are that it can make people feel happier and can sometimes bring about a sense of community. Apply just as much to Jedis as anyone else.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think MF is more like this

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                    "The commission said to be classed as a religion it must have a positive beneficial impact on society in general and raised concerns that Jediism may, in part, have an "inward focus" on its members."

Maybe instead of being "inward" they should adopt some of the other religions traits, either past or present:

Suppression of free thought
                    Misogyny
                    Crusade
                    Jihad
                    Sex abuse
                    Patriarchal supremacy
                    False hope
                    Intolerance of difference
                    Slavery
                    Yeah but it's like booze and fags, they were around before the new rules.

It does seem odd that the grounds on which they seemed to make the decision is "moral betterment". Many entirely legitimate religions, Gibbons's nonsense aside, certainly do NOT meet that criteria, several don't even claim to.

Apparently they can't use common sense they have to find legal precedent. Does this mean Scientology is a religion or not?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X