PDA

View Full Version : What's your number?

SimonMac
20th December 2016, 09:35
366 days in 2016
105 of them are weekends
8 Bank Holidays (unless your in Scotland)
Leaves 253 billable days for the majority of us here

I billed 240 of them, and only had one day off since July (I think I was actually sick) add whooping cough at the start of the year means I have probably only taken 7 days holiday in 2016 (and two of those was for a funeral) although I've got 3 days booked between Christmas and New Year

I am doing something wrong

MarillionFan
20th December 2016, 09:36
I am a name, not a number.

barrydidit
20th December 2016, 09:45

4 months off over the summer accounted for the majority of the 'missing' days :D

SimonMac
20th December 2016, 09:45
I am a name, not a number.

You still benched?

MarillionFan
20th December 2016, 09:49
You still benched?

Just secured a new contract start 3rd Jan.

I do mine on a financial year which runs April to April.

Worked April, May, June, two weeks in July. Holiday six weeks. Benched the rest.

SimonMac
20th December 2016, 09:53
Just secured a new contract start 3rd Jan.

I do mine on a financial year which runs April to April.

Worked April, May, June, two weeks in July. Holiday six weeks. Benched the rest.

What took you so long? I thought you were amazeballs!

MarillionFan
20th December 2016, 09:59
What took you so long? I thought you were amazeballs!

To much other stuff going on. Plus don't need the money.

New Year, new focus.

ladymuck
20th December 2016, 09:59
Billed 233

10 days doing lean six sigma
5 days while waiting for an extension to come through
Couple of long weekends away
No sick days (that's what weekends are for)

MrMarkyMark
20th December 2016, 10:03
Managed around 4 and a half months this year in total.

Loved every minute of it :smokin

VectraMan
20th December 2016, 10:24
I reckon 231. Until October I only had a couple of days off and also billed two bank holidays. Then the planned week off before contract extension turned out to be 2 1/2 weeks off whilst a few terms were sorted out, and today is hopefully my last.

Starting 2017 unemployed, so we'll see if I get anywhere close to that.

NotAllThere
20th December 2016, 10:29
411 days. It's complicated.

barrydidit
20th December 2016, 10:35

Are you on Mars?

PurpleGorilla
20th December 2016, 10:43

We won't pay you for being a CUK mod.

Stop billing us!

sasguru
20th December 2016, 11:07
233 - I short and 1 long haul holiday of 10 days each.

New year's Resolution: Must take more time off :bang:

MrMarkyMark
20th December 2016, 11:20
233 - I short and 1 long haul holiday of 10 days each.

New year's Resolution: Must take more time off :bang:

Do it.

After 3.5 years back to back contracts I found it very refreshing to do so this year.
We had a great summer concentrating on other things, travelling, camping a few festivals, cooking, baking etc.

In fact anything but IT....................well, apart from the start up the Mrs has been working with part time.

The Butcher
20th December 2016, 11:33

Benched for the whole year.
Spent loads of time with the wife & kids.
Did most of the jobs around the house that I had been putting off.
Went on Holiday twice.

New contract starts 3rd of Jan 2017 :smokin

NotAllThere
20th December 2016, 11:45
Are you on Mars?No. Multiple clients and a notional number of days per month as retainer.

SlipTheJab
20th December 2016, 11:46
247, back to back contracts with a few days off here and there (working between xmas and new year as well) :eek, holiday already booked for 2 weeks early next year so looks like 2016 will never be beaten in my lifetime!

jamesbrown
20th December 2016, 11:46

Benched for the whole year.
Spent loads of time with the wife & kids.
Did most of the jobs around the house that I had been putting off.
Went on Holiday twice.

New contract starts 3rd of Jan 2017 :smokin

A year on the bench separates out the proper contractors from the rest of us. :D

Something like 240 days T&M (more than usual), plus a few FFP jobbies. Good year, overall.

scooterscot
20th December 2016, 11:50
3-4 months off. Din't stop me charging for all 12 mind.

pr1
20th December 2016, 11:57
225 billable days + about another 50 days worth from fixed price stuff

I just need to test it
20th December 2016, 12:10
I feel as though I have worked more than any other year, yet having just counted up I will have amassed only 170 by the time I ride off into the sunset tomorrow. Perplexing.

EDIT: Christ, I am thick. I tend not to work Fridays. And it's 199 days anyhow. Not 170.

VillageContractor
20th December 2016, 12:11
237 billed days - lots of half days for kids appointments or wife being sick.

FrontEnder
20th December 2016, 13:15
looking at invoices, I've had 21 days off, which will include bank holidays, so 240 days.

need to take more time off next year. last year I was benched for about 3 months, so warchest took a big hit, so was reluctant to take much time off. built up a bit now so gives me some breathing space.

TheFaQQer
20th December 2016, 15:55
209 days billed, nowhere near that many worked.

chopper
20th December 2016, 15:57
According to Freeagent, I've only billed 213 days. A bit lower than I was expecting really, considering that I have been in contract all year...

I do target 220 billable days per year, and at least my financial year (September to September) was 220.5 days :) I don't contract so I can work all the hours god sends and I'm finding a decent work/life balance. Quite enjoying this furlough week, as the kids are still in school until Friday :) :banana::banana::banana:

darmstadt
20th December 2016, 17:37
12 days billed but that was enough to buy another 2 BTLs in the center of London :wink

deebeegee
20th December 2016, 17:45
queenie only did 177 in 2015/16 as opposed to 196 the year before.

Queen steps down as patron of children's charities - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38380285)

i did 225.5 but probably didn't invoice quite as much

northernladuk
20th December 2016, 18:13
Blimey. This thread is an eye opener. I thought most of us worked for the flexibility. I'm surprised at those that just had half days with family or no holidays at all? I had 2 family hols, a lads holiday, went on tour and plenty of long weekends etc cause I can. It must be me that's doing something wrong :(

SlipTheJab
20th December 2016, 18:21
Blimey. This thread is an eye opener. I thought most of us worked for the flexibility. I'm surprised at those that just had half days with family or no holidays at all? I had 2 family hols, a lads holiday, went on tour and plenty of long weekends etc cause I can. It must be me that's doing something wrong :(

Part timer :D

northernladuk
20th December 2016, 18:25
Part timer :D

I know right! Not cut out it appears.

:igmc:

jamesbrown
20th December 2016, 18:28

Yeah, but there are different ways of exercising the flexibility it provides. Personally, I prefer a few months out every few years, and I'm looking to retire young. I'm not too bothered about short holidays. YMMV. I guess you could also justify contracting for the money and variety, without taking much time off.

MarillionFan
20th December 2016, 18:40

You're a Northerner, we all know that North of Watford everyone is a lazy bastard.

RSoles
20th December 2016, 18:56
110. :eek

...been a bit peely-wally.

eek
20th December 2016, 19:50
2.5 whole months off Feb - mid April
2 weeks in the summer
1 week in late September
1 week in October.

I was hoping for the first week of Jan off but new Clientco has thrown a spanner in that plan....

SueEllen
20th December 2016, 22:24

They want to be the richest men in the grave yard - though if their family has sense they would cremate them as it's cheaper. :D

SimonMac
21st December 2016, 08:55

I guess having a local contract where I am home every night I have not felt "away" from the family

VillageContractor
21st December 2016, 09:02

Saving for a deposit for a house in London so happy to put in a few tough yrs and take it easier afterwards. And I'm local to home so home to get the kids ready in the morning and put them to bed

northernladyuk
21st December 2016, 09:27
I know right! Not cut out it appears.

:igmc:

You're still on track for 366 billable nights.

amanwhoisquiet
21st December 2016, 09:29
went on tour

Pub rocker?

Anyhow. I've only started in April this year and I've had about 8 days off from max billable days. I am doing this for the flexibility, but with the understanding that it's future me that'll be getting the benefit.

pr1
21st December 2016, 09:41

you don't bill for your time while on holidays? AYCOTBAC?

northernladuk
21st December 2016, 09:43
I guess having a local contract where I am home every night I have not felt "away" from the family

Absolutely this. Working away solidly for 2 years you've got to work hard at the quality time at home so the trips are all part of that. I probably wouldn't be away quite as much if I was local, except maybe to get away from the family for some peace and quiet :D

Saving for a deposit for a house in London so happy to put in a few tough yrs and take it easier afterwards. And I'm local to home so home to get the kids ready in the morning and put them to bed

Sounds very sensible and lucky with the to be able to do that and spend family time. Make hay while the sun shines.

Pub rocker?

Anyhow. I've only started in April this year and I've had about 8 days off from max billable days. I am doing this for the flexibility, but with the understanding that it's future me that'll be getting the benefit.

Nah, rugger bugger. Well, was...

Make sure you've got the warchest well stocked first and foremost. Get that behind you and it becomes a lot less stressful. Funny that people come contracting for money. I've never been as skint as I was in my first year contracting :D

MaryPoppins
21st December 2016, 09:52

+1

I have as much time off as is feasible.

SimonMac
21st December 2016, 10:41
+1

I have as much time off as is feasible.

Feasible is an interesting word, guess with all the supposed doom and gloom, the end of contracting is nigh sentiments I have been scared of giving up a days billing as you never know whats round the corner.

eek
21st December 2016, 10:45
Feasible is an interesting word, guess with all the supposed doom and gloom, the end of contracting is nigh sentiments I have been scared of giving up a days billing as you never know whats round the corner.

Life's too short to chase the last penny....

SimonMac
21st December 2016, 10:46
Life's too short to chase the last penny....

Don't I know it!

ladymuck
21st December 2016, 10:51
I tend to work enough to pay the bills, have a few holidays, and stash a little for a rainy day. I genuinely like working (despite me always being on the look out for a rich old man with a dicky heart) so will tend to make sure I bill as many days as possible when I can but not lose any sleep when things don't work out that way. My mantra is "something always turns up", which seems to have done me well for the past 11 years I've been freelance.

FrontEnder
21st December 2016, 12:19
I tend to work enough to pay the bills, have a few holidays, and stash a little for a rainy day. I genuinely like working (despite me always being on the look out for a rich old man with a dick(y heart)) so will tend to make sure I bill as many days as possible when I can but not lose any sleep when things don't work out that way. My mantra is "something always turns up", which seems to have done me well for the past 11 years I've been freelance.

I meet 3 out 5 of those requirements....

northernladyuk
21st December 2016, 12:22
I tend to work enough to pay the bills, have a few holidays, and stash a little for a rainy day. I genuinely like working (despite me always being on the look out for a rich old man with a dicky heart) so will tend to make sure I bill as many days as possible when I can but not lose any sleep when things don't work out that way. My mantra is "something always turns up", which seems to have done me well for the past 11 years I've been freelance.

Get your claws out of Dodgy, he's mine.

Whorty
30th December 2016, 13:23

You're doing it right, it's the rest of us doing it wrong! I always start the year saying I'll work for 6 months and take 6 months off, but then the extensions get offered up and it's hard to say no. Last year (2016) 235 days.

2017 I have a contract until the end of December but I'm not convinced it'll go that long - most of my deliverables due by end July, followed by a second phase of deliverables from August to December but I'm not convinced I need to do 100% to do that, so either part time from August or step out and someone else can take over.