• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

24 month rule as a perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 month rule as a perm

Right here's one for ya, if I was to go perm with my current client (carrot is being dangled) how would I go about claiming travel expenses against tax for the 1st 2 yrs, is it an end of year thing? Seems as contractors we do this all the time but I've never heard of a permie actually doing this...

What travel expenses will you have? Why won't your client pay them?

If you are talking 24 month rule then it's if you expect to be there 2 years. As a perm thats a good expectation so you are caught already no?
    Mentioned in here.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...scussion-paper
    Last edited by northernladuk; 21 December 2016, 21:48.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You pay them, claim back from your employer. Employer generally has a dispensation to avoid having to declare them on your P11D (if they are big enough).

If the employer isn't repaying you then look for another employer.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just wondering how the 24 months rule which was designed for perms actually works for perms, as usual NLUK has muddied the waters

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          Just wondering how the 24 months rule which was designed for perms actually works for perms, as usual NLUK has muddied the waters
          Maybe you should have asked your accountant then

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Maybe you should have asked your accountant then
            But as a perm why would I have one... checkmate!

Comment

Permanent status with an employer is irrelevant. All that matters is the workplace.

If a workplace is considered permanent then there is no 24 month rule as this only applies for temporary workplaces.

If you're a full time employee then is very likely your employees office will be a permanent workplace. If they have multiple bases then it depends.
              Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 21 December 2016, 22:20.

Comment

^^ this. If your employer is sending you to places other than your designated permanent office, then you can reclaim the expenses incurred from them.

Should you spend >40% of your time at another location (say, you do two days a week in Leeds when your base is London) then, once you know that arrangement will be in place for at least 24 months (even if you've only been doing the travel for 18 months to date), you will no longer be able to claim tax relief on the expenses and they will become a BIK.

Travel from home to your designated permanent office is not claimable.

It works exactly the same as it does for contractors except we claim our homes are our designated office in order to claim t&s expenditure.

Comment

But as a perm why would I have one... checkmate!
                  Meh...

But TCP said same as me

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    ^^ this. If your employer is sending you to places other than your designated permanent office, then you can reclaim the expenses incurred from them.

Should you spend >40% of your time at another location (say, you do two days a week in Leeds when your base is London) then, once you know that arrangement will be in place for at least 24 months (even if you've only been doing the travel for 18 months to date), you will no longer be able to claim tax relief on the expenses and they will become a BIK.

Travel from home to your designated permanent office is not claimable.

It works exactly the same as it does for contractors except we claim our homes are our designated office in order to claim t&s expenditure.
                    When I was a consultant, if the project went over 2 years then the company made good the loss in taxable expenses.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X