• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

adiós Nicola

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adiós Nicola

Spain DISMISSES Nicola Sturgeon's bid to keep Scotland in the EU single market even if the UK leaves
    First Minister set out Brexit demands to Theresa May earlier this week
    Said Scotland should stay in single market even if the rest of the UK leaves
    Threatening to call a second independence referendum if demands not met
    But Spain made clear the whole UK will either be in or out of the single market
    Spain DISMISSES Nicola Sturgeon's bid to keep Scotland in the EU single market | Daily Mail Online

no love lost....
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Spain with veto as much as possible Scotlands ideas for fear of Basque or Catalan doing the same with their independence bids
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      Spain with veto as much as possible Scotlands ideas for fear of Basque or Catalan doing the same with their independence bids
      Indeed, pity personal priorities overcome sense so sad we are leaving..
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Indeed, pity personal priorities overcome sense so sad we are leaving..
        You really should seek counselling.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

"If the UK leaves the single market, the whole UK will leave the single market. There is only one negotiator, the UK government."

Kind of misses the point that if Scotland becomes independent, it's not part of the UK

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            "If the UK leaves the single market, the whole UK will leave the single market. There is only one negotiator, the UK government."

Kind of misses the point that if Scotland becomes independent, it's not part of the UK
            As opposed to missing the rather more pertintent point that it's never going to happen, and if it did (a) Scotland would be at the back of the queue and (b) by the time they get to the front of the queue they would be a basket case.

But hey, it's Christmas. Let's not worry about it...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This was before independence, I read it as Sturgeon would threaten a second independence vote if the deal wasn't agreed to allow Scotland to stay when the rest of the UK leaves, no idea what she has been smoking to think there is any legs in anything she has to say anymore
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

FFS linking the Daily Fail !!

https://www.commonspace.scot/article...lands-place-eu

But the crucial difference, which seems to have escaped the attention of señor Rajoy and his legal advisers, is that Article 49 gives him the power of veto, 50 does not.

The important part of Article 50 is paragraph 2. It has already become common parlance in the media and is destined to feature in many news stories to come:

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

That cross-reference to Article 218(3) is vitally important. It means that an exit deal has to be approved not by unanimity in Council but by a qualified majority. To cut a long story short, Rajoy - or more likely his successor considering the weakness of his minority government in Spain - would have to find at least seven other member states to support him should he want to scupper a Brexit agreement just because it permitted Scotland to be part of the EU.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                  FFS linking the Daily Fail !!

https://www.commonspace.scot/article...lands-place-eu

But the crucial difference, which seems to have escaped the attention of señor Rajoy and his legal advisers, is that Article 49 gives him the power of veto, 50 does not.

The important part of Article 50 is paragraph 2. It has already become common parlance in the media and is destined to feature in many news stories to come:

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

That cross-reference to Article 218(3) is vitally important. It means that an exit deal has to be approved not by unanimity in Council but by a qualified majority. To cut a long story short, Rajoy - or more likely his successor considering the weakness of his minority government in Spain - would have to find at least seven other member states to support him should he want to scupper a Brexit agreement just because it permitted Scotland to be part of the EU.
                  Just the kind of bloated unworkable political rubbish we are looking to get away from.

Comment

Kind of misses the point that Scotland recently had a vote on whether or not to become independent and dismissed the notion.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X