• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Justice for the Kinsley Three

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justice for the Kinsley Three

So this is what happens for workers who stand up for their rights - they get sacked. Linky
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Don't know where to start with that. Striking when you're working for a private outfit is a very different proposition to doing it when you're part of the taxpayer payroll. And for 14 weeks. When your losses are around £20. I'm betting that they all had to reapply for their positions when the private co took over.

Comment

It was supposed to be covered by TUPE, but the council screwed up the documentation and the company refused to accept the evidence supplied by the employees. Usual ineptitude and greed.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So is it Thatcher's fault or thick Brexiters this time?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          So is it Thatcher's fault or thick Brexiters this time?
          Council ineptitude.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

In one email seen by the Guardian, the company’s head of human resources, Nick Thorpe, replied to Unison: “I understand … the impact for you as an organisation when members realise that we are no longer living in the 1980s and they question the actual value of union membership when you have no say, power or influence over their employer.”
            My thoughts exactly. Now apply the same treatment to the Southern drivers/conductors.

Edit: Now I sympathize with the unfortunate Trio, but they chose the wrong approach for fighting this
            Last edited by sal; 23 December 2016, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              My thoughts exactly. Now apply the same treatment to the Southern drivers/conductors.
              On Thursday the drivers and conductors weren't on strike but there were insufficient staff to run a full train service.

Southern needs to hire more staff but why should they when the government (or us, the taxpayer,) will pay them regardless.

Oh and other train companies do hire the staff needed to run a railway. In fact some holding more than one franchise can move their staff around if one lot strikes.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

For MPs to be paid loads, someone has to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                  Don't know where to start with that. Striking when you're working for a private outfit is a very different proposition to doing it when you're part of the taxpayer payroll. And for 14 weeks. When your losses are around £20. I'm betting that they all had to reapply for their positions when the private co took over.
                  Is it not a matter of principal, though? Sadly, there exists a huge number of employers who would gladly operate under Victorian conditions given a mere half a chance. It's taken many years to get to a point where workers are, for the most part, treated fairly and correctly but it doesn't take much to start undoing it if employers are left to get away with treating people like a cheap commodity.

Comment

Working...
                  X