• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christmas Sales

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Sales

Do you remember watching the news on Boxing Day in years gone by where a roving reporter would be interviewing people queueing up at the crack of sparrow fart outside Woollies to stake their claim on a midi hi-fi system that was going for a song?

Some of them would have been queueing since Christmas Eve.

My old mum used to say it was the very antithesis of the Christmas spirit. And I'm tempted to agree.

I remember one year, a couple in our street camped out outside MFI in Llantrisant in order to get their mitts on a particularly fetching formica topped nest of tables.

Christmas in a cold, wet carpark in Llantrisant! The mind boggles.

Anyway, does this stll happen or are all the bargains to be had at your fingertips online these days? I only ask because the old man's family are over Boxing Day so I may escape upstairs to the office for a bit of fingertip action myself.

online sales moved first to christmas day, then from 5pm on christmas eve and now on black friday...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

Christmas in a cold, wet carpark in Llantrisant! The mind boggles.
      Yes, but you've never been to Preston.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
        I only ask because the old man's family are over Boxing Day so I may escape upstairs to the office to enjoy a bit of fingertip action myself.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Still happens. Next do an early start. The workers need to be in mega early.

Comment

I go online on Xmas day. Then end up buying batteries or similar from Amazon, and more sports stuff...
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

When I was a kid matron used to allow a couple of my servants some time off over Christmas. They were allowed to queue overnight for the sales. Harrods was close to our Eaton Square home, and I used to pay them one shilling to queue overnight to by some extra toys at the sale.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I seem to recall seeing Boxing Day sales starting about a week prior, a year or two ago (maybe that was pre Black Friday days as we now just seem to follow what 'merica does even if we don't celebrate the same holidays).

Martin Lewis seems to be touting which January sales have already started.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  When I was a kid matron used to allow a couple of my servants some time off over Christmas. They were allowed to queue overnight for the sales. Harrods was close to our Eaton Square home, and I used to pay them one shilling to queue overnight to by some extra toys at the sale.
                  A whole shilling, its types like you that are responsible for mega inflation man
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've got emails from Next, 2 ladies clothes retailers and some coffee company. All their sales have now started.

As I tend to try and buy stuff in October apart from Xmas presents before they put the prices up, I don't need anything.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X