• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opportunities between Bristol and Edinburgh for a web dev guy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opportunities between Bristol and Edinburgh for a web dev guy

Hello everyone, this is Alex, I am a Microsoft web developer guy and at the moment I am planning to return to UK after a long break.
    I lived in London in the past but although the rich job opportunities in London, I find the lifestyle pretty tiring as you travel a lot by trains and buses.
    I think a smaller british city would fit me better and as I studied the job markets my favourites are Bristol and Edinburgh.
    Bristol seems to have more job opportunities while I like Edinburgh more as a place to live (due to cheap cost of living, nature etc).
    What advices would you give me ?
    Thank you very much !

Dance like no one is watching and also get your boiler serviced on a regular basis.

Comment

Choose where you can afford to live. Choose a career that supports your lifestyle.
      If you choose to be a contractor (even for a while) then make sure you choose somewhere with good travel options so you do not limit yourself as to where you can get jobs.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Choose where you can afford to live. Choose a career that supports your lifestyle.
        If you choose to be a contractor (even for a while) then make sure you choose somewhere with good travel options so you do not limit yourself as to where you can get jobs.
        Chose getting a sofa in a range of fookin fabrics

Comment

You find London tiring as you have yet figured out where to work verses where you live. There is a reason in London that certain areas are expensive to live in as they tend to have better transport links. Also you should be aware some of the quickest ways to get to some places are actually by bike (all kinds) and even rarely car.

Also any city you move to in the UK could lead to loads of commuting if you live in the wrong area.

So I would get a job first and as you are likely to be renting, then find accommodation nearby.

If you plan to go contracting then you should try to live in an area with good road and rail links as you could be traveling anywhere in the UK.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by legionar View Post
            Hello everyone, this is Alex, I am a Microsoft web developer guy and at the moment I am planning to return to UK after a long break.
            I lived in London in the past but although the rich job opportunities in London, I find the lifestyle pretty tiring as you travel a lot by trains and buses.
            I think a smaller british city would fit me better and as I studied the job markets my favourites are Bristol and Edinburgh.
            Bristol seems to have more job opportunities while I like Edinburgh more as a place to live (due to cheap cost of living, nature etc).
            Thank you very much !
            Much depends on your doings and reverting to livings place.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Thank you very much !
              All UK contracts in very short supply at the moment. You know Brexit and all that.

I hear Germany is much better . Perhaps best to try there.

Comment

Comment

If you have experience of WebSphere Application Server (WAS) Infrastructure and RDBMS (Oracle & SQL Server), UNIX (preferably AIX, Solaris and RHEL) and UNIX shell scripting gimme a shout.

Or anybody else for that matter.
                  Me, me, me...

Comment

Bristol's full of chavs and virtue signalling *******. And lots of angry people on cycles.

Just saying....

Comment

Working...
                    X