PDA

View Full Version : When do you think the contract market will pick up again? Jan? Feb? (2017)

ECommerceConsultant
27th December 2016, 13:18
Any words of wisdom on when the contract market might pick back up again? I guess everyone's on holidays until 1st week of January, which makes it pointless to even try to find something at the moment...is it reasonable to expect to get something in January? or do you think it will be slow until Feb?

Thanks for your thoughts... I've been searching online, but there's not much.

VectraMan
27th December 2016, 14:23
Some time late 2037:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

SueEllen
27th December 2016, 16:03
Since I got an email today and yesterday about contract opportunities - I can only say it depends on your skill set, whether you have been in contact with a lot of agencies in the past and whether you have been active on the job boards.

In short get your CV out there making sure you have a UK phone number on it. There is no need for an address on your CV as agents/clients don't read that information they will just ask you when they speak to you. If you are non-UK be prepared that they won't take it any further. You can put a fake address on the job boards as they have been targeted by hackers.

BrilloPad
27th December 2016, 16:54
Traditionally Jan and Feb are quiet months.

northernladuk
27th December 2016, 17:00

March and April are traditionally quiet as well.

original PM
27th December 2016, 17:00

It's the quiet ones you need to watch for

kaiser78
27th December 2016, 17:28
March and April are traditionally quiet as well.

May and June can also be quiet too...

greenlake
27th December 2016, 17:41
It's the quiet ones you need to watch for

....but the silent ones can be deadly. :eek

WTFH
27th December 2016, 18:39
May and June can also be quiet too...

July and August are summer, so forget about trying to get work then.

SueEllen
27th December 2016, 18:42

But then we are back to September and October when there are no budgets...

WTFH
27th December 2016, 18:49

And no good projects ever get started in November or December

greenlake
27th December 2016, 18:52
And no good projects ever get started in November or December

So, 2018 then?

SlipTheJab
27th December 2016, 19:10
I wouldn't worry about it as Trump will have pushed the button by then and it'll all be over (who'd have thunk it would take a nuclear war to finally kill contracting... HMRC take note!)

SussexSeagull
27th December 2016, 19:32
Will pick up early January.

Have no actual evidence to support that theory but thought I might give wishful thinking a go as nothing else seems to be working.

SueEllen
27th December 2016, 19:33
Will pick up early January.

Have no actual evidence to support that theory but thought I might give wishful thinking a go as nothing else seems to be working.

No it won't.

SussexSeagull
27th December 2016, 19:34
No it won't.

Oh yes it will.

RSoles
27th December 2016, 19:38
It already has.
I have two offers already. Not happened to me before...................

Maybe I'm too cheap.....:emb

SueEllen
27th December 2016, 20:08
Oh yes it will.

Oh no it won't.

SussexSeagull
27th December 2016, 20:09
Oh no it won't.

It's behind you.

Pip in a Poke
27th December 2016, 20:09
Any words of wisdom on when the contract market might pick back up again? I guess everyone's on holidays until 1st week of January, which makes it pointless to even try to find something at the moment...is it reasonable to expect to get something in January? or do you think it will be slow until Feb?

Thanks for your thoughts... I've been searching online, but there's not much.

:rollin::rollin::rollin:

Cliphead
27th December 2016, 20:11
I went permie a year ago but at least once a week I get an email or a call about a contract gig. Depends on your skillset and where you're willing to work.

northernladyuk
27th December 2016, 20:23
It sometimes picks up in November or December in a leap year.

SlipTheJab
27th December 2016, 20:27
We normally get a slight bump every lunar eclipse but the real boom time is when Haleys Comet visits Earth... not long now.

quackhandle
27th December 2016, 20:29
It usually picks up on a Thursday.

Good luck.

qh

SueEllen
27th December 2016, 22:04

Good luck.

qh

No it's on a Wednesday when there is a blue moon.

SlipTheJab
27th December 2016, 22:48

Good luck.

qh

Around 2.30 pm If I recollect :D

Paddy
27th December 2016, 23:20
29th February is a good day

GJABS
28th December 2016, 02:36
So, 2018 then?

I should avoid even-numbered years; they're often a washout what with the world cup or the Olympics always being on :eyes

WTFH
28th December 2016, 08:52
I should avoid even-numbered years; they're often a washout what with the world cup or the Olympics always being on :eyes

You mean years beginning with a 20?

MarillionFan
28th December 2016, 09:06
I start a new gig in Jan, stil have another interview I've not yet cancelled, plus got a call last week to come back for an interview for a senior perm role I had two for a few months and they'd like to progress. So yes, I'd say it will pick up.

RSoles
28th December 2016, 11:38
Mornington Crescent.

WTFH
28th December 2016, 12:09
Mornington Crescent.

Adjudication, Humph.

OwlHoot
28th December 2016, 12:56

and from September everything tails off in the run up to Christmas :eyes

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 13:36
Since I got an email today and yesterday about contract opportunities - I can only say it depends on your skill set, whether you have been in contact with a lot of agencies in the past and whether you have been active on the job boards.

In short get your CV out there making sure you have a UK phone number on it. There is no need for an address on your CV as agents/clients don't read that information they will just ask you when they speak to you. If you are non-UK be prepared that they won't take it any further. You can put a fake address on the job boards as they have been targeted by hackers.

Thanks for this, I do put my UK number on my applications...but still not getting anything... or I get half hour long calls from a mega enthusiastic recruiter who says, "You are absolutely PERFECT for this role, my client is going to LOVE you!!!!!!", then never hear anything from them again...I think I am falling into the trap of the fake job ads, and recruiters just wanting to update their databases. I really can't stress how much I hate fake / dodgy recruiters.

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 13:38

yes, I worried that might be the case. But as the next poster says, March and April are traditionally quiet as well ;)

So, I guess it's just keep applying and applying...

Still when I look at the openings of perm vs contract it seems to be about 7:1.

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 13:40

OK, it seems a never ending story of months that are quiet, I think we've covered every month from Jan to December now ;)

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 13:43
It already has.
I have two offers already. Not happened to me before...................

Maybe I'm too cheap.....:emb

maybe I'm too expensive ;) hmmm. I did get a request direct from a client, what my day rate is. I told them and never heard from them again, even though I wrote to ask if I could still be of assistance. I know 100% that I'm in the average of day rates for my skills and experience...
especially for London assignments where I have to deal with extreme-commuting and the associated costs, so I wouldn't want to drop my day rate...

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 13:46
I went permie a year ago but at least once a week I get an email or a call about a contract gig. Depends on your skillset and where you're willing to work.

getting an email about contracts, and actually getting one are two very different things!
I get loads of emails every day, but am getting the feeling that some jobs are fake, and a way for recruiters to call you to update their database.

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 13:48

Good luck.

qh

haha, yes I've found nothing ever happens on a Monday or a Friday - on Mondays the recruiters are recovering from their weekends, and on Fridays they can't wait to start the weekend. Anything between Tues afternoon and Thursday morning seems to be the most productive time!
and forget about bank holiday weekends and the week before it and after it! Nothing happens!!

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 13:50
I start a new gig in Jan, stil have another interview I've not yet cancelled, plus got a call last week to come back for an interview for a senior perm role I had two for a few months and they'd like to progress. So yes, I'd say it will pick up.

Thanks and congrats on your new role! I hope it goes well.

Nice to see also someone can write a post with relevant and useful info :)

Wilmslow
28th December 2016, 13:52

Hello Churchill :)

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 13:54
THREAD SUMMARY:
so basically it is always a bad time to find a new contract...that seems to be the overall view of everyone on this thread.
So I guess none of you are working, or you've been in the same contracts for 10 years or more when Tony Blair was in charge?

Whorty
28th December 2016, 14:43
maybe I'm too expensive ;) hmmm. I did get a request direct from a client, what my day rate is. I told them and never heard from them again, even though I wrote to ask if I could still be of assistance. I know 100% that I'm in the average of day rates for my skills and experience...
especially for London assignments where I have to deal with extreme-commuting and the associated costs, so I wouldn't want to drop my day rate...

There is a lot of pressure on rates at the moment, and lots of contractors out there who will take any offer. The good roles will come up, but if the coffers start to get depleted it could be worth taking a lower rate to get back into the market, then continue looking for a better rate/role.

I've hired 7 contractors over the past month or so, and the purse string holders at clientco have been very tight on day rates I can play with. So much so that 2 contractors have already moved on to better roles. It risks my projects, I raise these risks, but clientco are prepared to run that risk. It's that kind of market i'm afraid.

OwlHoot
28th December 2016, 14:43
THREAD SUMMARY:
so basically it is always a bad time to find a new contract...that seems to be the overall view of everyone on this thread.
So I guess none of you are working, or you've been in the same contracts for 10 years or more when Tony Blair was in charge?

Not a flippant post this time ECC, but what are your specialities or areas?

Luckily I'm currently in contract, but I subscribe to various contract email services and at the moment there seem precious few perl and python scripting contracts outside London. (and what few there are mostly seem to be in Cheltenham, requiring security clearance. Hmm, I wonder who that could be ...)

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 14:51
There is a lot of pressure on rates at the moment, and lots of contractors out there who will take any offer. The good roles will come up, but if the coffers start to get depleted it could be worth taking a lower rate to get back into the market, then continue looking for a better rate/role.

I've hired 7 contractors over the past month or so, and the purse string holders at clientco have been very tight on day rates I can play with. So much so that 2 contractors have already moved on to better roles. It risks my projects, I raise these risks, but clientco are prepared to run that risk. It's that kind of market i'm afraid.

Thanks Whorty :) good to know. Sure, ok, good idea to take something at a lower rate and keep looking. Thanks again.

Whorty
28th December 2016, 14:52
THREAD SUMMARY:
I find building relationships with agents is a good strategy and has held me in good stead for the 10 years that I've been contracting. Means the roles come to me, as it were, as the agents know when i am out of contract and if they have a role they invite me to apply. Of course, applying doesn't mean I'll get the interview, but it's a start. I have applied via Jobserve for a couple of roles with varying success. One I got, one I got the interview and was told after the interview that I was second in line ... basically I was being used to call the bluff of candidate 1 who wouldn't sign ... they signed and I wasted my time which pee'd me off somewhat, but hey, sh1t happens sometimes.

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 14:58
I find building relationships with agents is a good strategy and has held me in good stead for the 10 years that I've been contracting. Means the roles come to me, as it were, as the agents know when i am out of contract and if they have a role they invite me to apply. Of course, applying doesn't mean I'll get the interview, but it's a start. I have applied via Jobserve for a couple of roles with varying success. One I got, one I got the interview and was told after the interview that I was second in line ... basically I was being used to call the bluff of candidate 1 who wouldn't sign ... they signed and I wasted my time which pee'd me off somewhat, but hey, sh1t happens sometimes.

Very good tips. I was contracting successfully for several years in the UK, and luckily at that time, I was well connected with the recruiters in my field. I've been out of the country for 2 years, and coming back in mid January - I was hoping to line something up to come back to...but it just isn't happening, I guess partly because I started looking in December. I used to use Jobserve a lot, with some success. I've lost touch with the recruiters, so I guess I need to rebuild that on my return, as per your suggestion.

Thanks for taking the time to write :)

SueEllen
28th December 2016, 18:05
Very good tips. I was contracting successfully for several years in the UK, and luckily at that time, I was well connected with the recruiters in my field. I've been out of the country for 2 years, and coming back in mid January - I was hoping to line something up to come back to...but it just isn't happening, I guess partly because I started looking in December. I used to use Jobserve a lot, with some success. I've lost touch with the recruiters, so I guess I need to rebuild that on my return, as per your suggestion.

Nope.

I've looked in November and December before and have secured contracts. In fact they all seem to be very close to me distance wise compared to other times of the year though time wise they weren't great due to traffic, train and tube problems.

It is just very random. Political events can have an effect on it e.g. the issue with the public sector, the economy, but if you are prepared to work anywhere in the UK then you should be able to find a contract.

MarillionFan
28th December 2016, 18:16

Most of the posters on here are wannabes or trolls. If you want decent advise son, stick with me.

vwdan
28th December 2016, 18:23
My sector really picked up just before Christmas, but I wasn't in a position to take advantage. Hopefully it'll continue into the new year.

SueEllen
28th December 2016, 19:01
Most of the posters on here are wannabes or trolls. If you want decent advise son, stick with me.

RUN!!

Fast!

MPwannadecentincome
28th December 2016, 19:01
The market picks up when a real agent calls with a real role otherwise the market is dead

SlipTheJab
28th December 2016, 21:34
Anyone with half a brain will work out what we're all saying, there is no good or bad time of the year to find a contract role...(except for jan. feb, july, aug and december obviously :D ).

northernladuk
28th December 2016, 21:39
Anyone with half a brain will work out what we're all saying, there is no good or bad time of the year to find a contract role...(except for jan. feb, july, aug and december obviously :D ).

And March April May June July Sept Oct and Nov as well obviously.

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 22:03
Nope.

I've looked in November and December before and have secured contracts. In fact they all seem to be very close to me distance wise compared to other times of the year though time wise they weren't great due to traffic, train and tube problems.

It is just very random. Political events can have an effect on it e.g. the issue with the public sector, the economy, but if you are prepared to work anywhere in the UK then you should be able to find a contract.

OK thanks SueEllen. That's good to know :)

greenlake
28th December 2016, 22:06
so basically it is always a bad time to find a new contract...

http://i.imgur.com/QjyqYUn.jpg

ECommerceConsultant
28th December 2016, 22:18
OK, haha, I'm glad you've all amused yourselves at my expense ;)
Very funny ;)

Paddy
28th December 2016, 22:34
http://shamanism.astrologyclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/shaman.jpg

Your will have a contract in 2017

mudskipper
28th December 2016, 22:57

:sp... nah, can't be bothered - it's Christmas :hug:

NickFitz
28th December 2016, 23:23
THREAD SUMMARY:

I've landed contracts at all times of year. There's always some unlucky company with a requirement somewhere :)

nomadd
29th December 2016, 12:31
Anyone with half a brain will work out what we're all saying...

And yet the thread is seven pages long already... :D

OwlHoot
29th December 2016, 12:49
My sector really picked up just before Christmas, but I wasn't in a position to take advantage.

Damned CRB checks! How's can a Santa misbehave in full public view anyway, even if they wanted to? :happy

maccas99
29th December 2016, 14:08
Thanks for this, I do put my UK number on my applications...but still not getting anything... or I get half hour long calls from a mega enthusiastic recruiter who says, "You are absolutely PERFECT for this role, my client is going to LOVE you!!!!!!", then never hear anything from them again...I think I am falling into the trap of the fake job ads, and recruiters just wanting to update their databases. I really can't stress how much I hate fake / dodgy recruiters.

If this was someone from Square One then I know exactly who you mean! :winker:

ECommerceConsultant
29th December 2016, 21:30
Your will have a contract in 2017

Thanks for that Paddy :)

northernladuk
29th December 2016, 21:44
You will have a contract in 2017

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ce/64/ce/ce64ceadd47b8267595f384f5dcdff02.jpg

Oooooh no he won't.

SueEllen
30th December 2016, 00:15
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ce/64/ce/ce64ceadd47b8267595f384f5dcdff02.jpg

Oooooh no he won't.

Oh yes he will

quackhandle
30th December 2016, 12:33
I've landed contracts at all times of year. There's always some unlucky company with a requirement somewhere :)

Oddly I posted a while back that I'd started a gig in all months bar November. Started current one on 07/11. So that's a full house.

Go me. :igmc:

qh

WTFH
30th December 2016, 12:43
Oddly I posted a while back that I'd started a gig in all months bar November. Started current one on 07/11. So that's a full house.

Go me. :igmc:

qh

In the last 15 years, I am missing April, June & July.

SueEllen
30th December 2016, 12:49
In the last 15 years, I am missing April, June & July.

I'm missing February, April and June.

SussexSeagull
30th December 2016, 16:53
Oddly I have found January quite productive in the past.

RSoles
30th December 2016, 17:01
Hmmm, 16 years and I'm missing March and December.

MPwannadecentincome
3rd January 2017, 17:07
3 calls today so January is up so far

SueEllen
3rd January 2017, 19:47
3 calls today so January is up so far

Only three?

MPwannadecentincome
3rd January 2017, 22:51
Only three?

well one was an interview offer for next week

ECommerceConsultant
4th January 2017, 16:21
it has picked up a lot, I've been inundated by calls actually!! All clients looking to hire in Jan.
So, good news all around! :)

northernladuk
4th January 2017, 17:54
it has picked up a lot, I've been inundated by calls actually!! All clients looking to hire in Jan.
So, good news all around! :)

Or it could be the market is quiet so the agents are ramping up their information gathering to fill their time. Lots of false leads, fake jobs, farming calls etc? Just cause an agent calls you it doesn't mean there is a gig.

KentDogWalker
4th January 2017, 18:56

and what is the cause of this rate pressure? serious answers only pls

ladymuck
4th January 2017, 20:34
and what is the cause of this rate pressure? serious answers only pls

Lots of people got binned when the W&G RBS spin off project was canned