• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a load of poo!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a load of poo!!

Millions 'hit by toilet phobia'

A source of anguish for many
    A campaign is being launched to raise awareness of the crippling impact of toilet phobia.
    The National Phobics Society estimates at least four million Britons are affected - but the true number could be many more.

In some cases people refuse to leave their homes, and risk their health.

The society has classified the disorder as an anxiety condition in its own right, and is launching a self help book and DVD.

Toilet phobia can simply be manifest as a mild distaste for public loos.

No matter how funny we might find it, it's certainly no laughing matter

Nicky Lidbetter
    National Phobias Society

'I was reluctant to go out'

But some people develop such an intense obsession that they are left housebound, and may refuse to undergo potentially life-saving medical examinations.

They may deny themselves fluids, which can harm the kidneys, or take drugs to avoid "accidents".

Many sufferers will not even take a job if a toilet is located off a communal area and they can be observed going in or out.

And routine situations requiring the provision a urine sample fill some patients with terror.

Experts believe that the stigma surrounding the phobia means that many people refuse to admit they have a problem.

The National Phobics Society (NPS) hopes its new campaign will go some way to tackling this issue.

It also argues the medical profession needs educating about toilet phobia in order to encourage sufferers to come forward.

Taboo

Nicky Lidbetter, NPS manager, said: "Few people will talk about having an anxiety disorder in the first place, but for them to admit that they have a toilet-related phobia is rare because of the obvious embarrassment and humiliation of being laughed at or not being taken seriously.

"But, no matter how funny we might find it, it's certainly no laughing matter. We have to tackle this condition head on."

Professor Paul Salkovskis, a leading clinical psychologist, said part of the problem was society's squimishness about going to the toilet.

"Around the world we use a lot of humour and euphemism to describe what is a basic human function.

"We say 'I'm going to the bathroom' or 'I'm going to powder my nose' because there is a taboo surrounding using the toilet."

Several conditions are thought to be behind toilet phobia. These include:

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) linked to a fear of contamination

Agoraphobia - an anxiety disorder manifesting itself in a sense of feeling trapped and the need to escape

Paruresis ('shy bladder' syndrome) - the fear of urinating in the company of others

Parcopresis ('bashful bowel' syndrome) - the inability to defecate in public toilets
    Treatments include cognitive behaviour therapy, which helps people to break the cycle of faulty thinking, and hypnosis.

================================================== ======

this comes from the 'latest' thing at the top of the beeb news website. Must be a quiet news day then if this ranks as one of the top news stories of the day!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

I maybe in the first stage of this.
    I don't use public toilets and if i have to ,i put layers and layers of toilet paper on it.

Comment

I found God while having a mega dump. I thank it all to Chico.
      Drivel is my speciality

Comment

Originally posted by andy
        I maybe in the first stage of this.
        I don't use public toilets and if i have to ,i put layers and layers of toilet paper on it.
        I'm like that. I had a turtle's head once and managed to get from the A5 Edgware Road all the way to Leytonstone in 22 mins (driving at 95mph round the North Circular) rather than sh!t in a public bog.
        Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
          I'm like that. I had a turtle's head once

Not sure I wanted to know that! Too much information!!!
          SA says;
          Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          (whatever these are)

Comment

Paruresis ('shy bladder' syndrome) - the fear of urinating in the company of others
            I know people who pay good money to do that.

Parcopresis ('bashful bowel' syndrome) - the inability to defecate in public toilets
            Parcoaimis ("scat-agun" syndrome) - the inability to get your stool to reside in the bowl, rather than up the wall or all over the door handle.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I know a guy who only ever tulips in public toilets. It's like a cat thing. He's a pain in the arse to play pool with because half way through a game he disapears for a tulip.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Perhaps he's just trying to save a penny or two...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                  I'm like that. I had a turtle's head once and managed to get from the A5 Edgware Road all the way to Leytonstone in 22 mins (driving at 95mph round the North Circular) rather than sh!t in a public bog.
                  Was it touching cloth?
                  Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
                    I know a guy who only ever tulips in public toilets. It's like a cat thing. He's a pain in the arse to play pool with because half way through a game he disapears for a tulip.

We had someone who started tulipting in the bins at work! Clearly didn't suffer from this particular disorder!
                    The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                    X