• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Giving up booze - almost entirely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving up booze - almost entirely

I drink too much. I know that. Not massively in binges, but regularly like a couple of pints and a couple of big shots (whiskey or rum or vodka + a mixer) every evening. It's my excuse for relaxation and it really helps to deal with the wife and kids and the general end-of-day de-stress, or as I see it anyway. It makes me feel relaxed, to forget about the S-H-I-T.

But of course it's just a distraction. The buzz is not real and so the continual need to do this is a barrier to moving on and a barrier to improving myself and my life.

I need to stop drinking. I want to stop drinking. But I don't know if I can do it because it's part of my routine and I'm used to having a drink every evening. And frankly I really enjoy it.

So how can I do this? How can I get over the need for a drink every evening? Won't life be ever so difficult, stressful and boring without it?

I took up a hobby which left me with no money left over for alcohol without having to go into the higher rate tax band...
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I drink too much. I know that.

I need to stop drinking. I want to stop drinking.

So how can I do this? How can I get over the need for a drink every evening?
      It's a dilemma for sure....

Comment

I drink too much. I know that. Not massively in binges, but regularly like a couple of pints and a couple of big shots (whiskey or rum or vodka + a mixer) every evening. It's my excuse for relaxation and it really helps to deal with the wife and kids and the general end-of-day de-stress, or as I see it anyway. It makes me feel relaxed, to forget about the S-H-I-T.

But of course it's just a distraction. The buzz is not real and so the continual need to do this is a barrier to moving on and a barrier to improving myself and my life.

I need to stop drinking. I want to stop drinking. But I don't know if I can do it because it's part of my routine and I'm used to having a drink every evening. And frankly I really enjoy it.

So how can I do this? How can I get over the need for a drink every evening? Won't life be ever so difficult, stressful and boring without it?
        Generally I find after a couple of days off the booze I can take it or leave it. So it's a case of white knuckling through those first two or three days. A shocking 2-day hangover helps (I am currently posting with G&T in hand, but with good intentions of giving "dry January" a go...)

I find carbonated water a good substitute. I sometimes go for ginless tonic too (if G&T is your thing). And go to bed early so you're not tempted to pour a nightcap

Comment

Maybe consider substituting the booze for say Crystal Meth?

Comment

Well, substitution is an idea as part of the drinking problem is its habituation.
            For the odd occasions I've had to give up drink, I've used something like ice lollies, at least to get over the first couple of days. Thereafter it's easy (IME).

Also, there's no half-ways; one drink leads to 'just one more'.....

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
              Well, substitution is an idea as part of the drinking problem is its habituation.
              For the odd occasions I've had to give up drink, I've used something like ice lollies, at least to get over the first couple of days. Thereafter it's easy (IME).

Also, there's no half-ways; one drink leads to 'just one more'.....
              +1 I was alluding to exactly that, I'm going to try and do the same, the only thing stopping me shifting the 2 stone i need to get back to my fighting weight is booze (and the crap eating that ensues once you've had a couple of large ones).

Comment

I drink too much. I know that. Not massively in binges, but regularly like a couple of pints and a couple of big shots (whiskey or rum or vodka + a mixer) every evening.
                That's too much, too often. Go for a run, lift some weights, shoot some terrorists on the playstation; but lay off the booze.
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

You have to want to stop for yourself, not for anyone else.

Of course there are self-help groups - abstinence like AA, or some that advocate limits. Some people don't like AA (for example) because of the 12-step religious-ish program, but if your goal is to stop entirely and it works for you, why not? I know atheists who've been quite comfortable in AA.

I used to drink heavily, and then stopped entirely at age 41 for five years. I started drinking a few years ago, and was soon back to my former habits. However, something changed and now I just can't and don't want to drink like that. I had a 330ml beer at about 8pm this evening. I don't want any more. I sometimes have a nip of whisky - and I mean a nip - so a bottle of whiskey lasts ages. If I have to drive, I don't have any alcohol and don't feel I'm missing out.

It takes 3-4 days for any cravings to go away, and that's after recovery from your last hangover.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I think he's gone to fill up... Yup, kicking it for a good amount of time is relatively easy if you want to do it. But you do have to want to do it. When you see the weight start to come off and your head is that bit clearer it really does help to spur you on as well. I have been lucky this Xmas and had a stinker of a cold for most of it so haven't drunk half as much as I usually do at this time of year. I think mudskipper's advice is good too - go to bed at a decent time, I tend to do more damage to myself the longer I stay up

Comment

Working...
                    X