• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK general forum is tulip.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUK general forum is tulip.

What's going on, every thread that starts off interesting dives into mindless nitpicking and insults. I know we have a warning on general but it's not entertaining just predictable and boring.

The moderation is patchy, often it's the mods making things worse by joining in or at worst banning people that have views that are different from theirs. Or worse pointing out spelling mistakes or miss use of words to belittle or bully.

The Monday links are still fantastic and we have a real variety of knowledge on this site but...

General is going downhill fast, last death throws.

Its 2017 let's try and make general a better place.

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    What's going on, every thread that starts off interesting dives into mindless nitpicking and insults. I know we have a warning on general but it's not entertaining just predictable and boring.

The moderation is patchy, often it's the mods making things worse by joining in or at worst banning people that have views that are different from theirs. Or worse pointing out spelling mistakes or miss use of words to belittle or bully.

The Monday links are still fantastic and we have a real variety of knowledge on this site but...

WHS

Comment

For at least 9 years has been integral part of General. So I don't see the casual trading of insults ending anytime soon.

...r at worst banning people that have views that are different from theirs.
      Nobody gets banned from having a view different from the moderators.

It appears to be quite difficult, but do try to understand. As an example: if you are a racist xenophobe, you won't get banned for being a racist xenophobe. You may well get banned for posting racist and/or xenophobic material. It's a subtle, but important distinction.
      A perennial complaint. Yet here we still are.

So stop bitching about how awful the moderators are and what a terrible place this is and start making a positive contribution.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Please stop talking about asses, it send me into a trance.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          For at least 9 years has been integral part of General. So I don't see the casual trading of insults ending anytime soon.

Nobody gets banned from having a view different from the moderators.

It appears to be quite difficult, but do try to understand. As an example: if you are a racist xenophobe, you won't get banned for being a racist xenophobe. You may well get banned for posting racist and/or xenophobic material. It's a subtle, but important distinction.
          A perennial complaint. Yet here we still are.

So stop bitching about how awful the moderators are and what a terrible place this is and start making a positive contribution.
          NAT stop being so condescending and listen. I actually like CUK and over the years it's been interesting, useful, funny and yes bloody frustrating. But general is dying, at least to me.

I'm not going into your decisions to ban people because that will just distract from my point. The moderation needs to improve. I've never posted a thread like this before but if you are going to take time out of your life to be a moderator do a good job and try to improve.

We need to encourage debate and discussion. Threads are too often spiraling into name calling, nitpicking of the most boring and pointless kind without humor or value.

I also accept that I have posted tulip and have insulted people, I will make a point of trying to be better. NAT if you are going to be condescending to this post, just don't.

Comment

It's easy to blame one person or a group of people. It's rather more difficult to do something to try to change the culture. I'm suggesting that you and like-minded posters make the effort.

Comment

It's easy to blame one person or a group of people. It's rather more difficult to do something to try to change the culture. I'm suggesting that you and like-minded posters make the effort.
              I will make an effort. The moderation does need to improve, you can do something about that.

Comment

I will make an effort.
                Good.
                The moderation does need to improve, you can do something about that.
                I'm always willing to learn and try different approaches.

Comment

What a lovely sunny day it is here in South Devon, and no work either!! And can I just wish everyone on CUK a very Happy and Prosperous New Year for 2017?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Good.
                    I'm always willing to learn and try different approaches.
                    Good.

Comment

Working...
                    X