PDA

View Full Version : Oh Dear - Sales of Hitler's Mein Kampf soaring

OwlHoot
3rd January 2017, 13:29
2017-01-03 Germany sees 'overwhelming' sales of Hitler's Mein Kampf (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38495456)

About 85,000 German-language copies of the anti-Semitic Nazi manifesto have been sold. Publisher Andreas Wirsching said "the figures overwhelmed us".

He is director of the Institute of Contemporary History (IfZ) in Munich.

At the end of January the IfZ will launch a sixth print run. The book contains critical notes by scholars.

Unlike the Nazi-era editions, the IfZ's Mein Kampf (My Struggle) has a plain white cover - without a picture of Hitler. The swastika and other Nazi symbols are banned in Germany. ..

Allowing millions of immigrants to settle in Germany has been a very foolish provocation.

The Germans never seem to do anything by halves ...

Flashman
3rd January 2017, 13:34
Paging Darmstadt !!!

vetran
3rd January 2017, 13:38
Its obviously a lie its in the Daily Fail Beeb.

Just wait until we leave the teat of mother Europe you cretins will be bankrupt unlike me who bought Euro Bonds and moved to Clacton Portugal.

etc.

FTFRemainers.

darmstadt
3rd January 2017, 14:02
I actually read Mein Kampf while still in school in England as it was in the school library. Presumably it was available in most school libraries which explains the rise of the right in the UK :tongue

Flashman
3rd January 2017, 14:08
I actually read Mein Kampf while still in school in England as it was in the school library. Presumably it was available in most school libraries which explains the rise of the right in the UK :tongue

:banana:

shaunbhoy
3rd January 2017, 14:37

Read Mein Kampf in school......check.........moved to Germany........check.
Over to you security services!!

:laugh

shaunbhoy
3rd January 2017, 14:38
The Germans never seem to do anything by halves ...

Indeed. Losing 1 World War wasn't enough for them!! :laugh

scooterscot
3rd January 2017, 14:40
Why is this any different to sales of Thachter's or Blair's biography?

NickFitz
3rd January 2017, 14:48
85,000 copies sold to a population of 80 million - and that's assuming all copies were bought within Germany. Not really "soaring", is it? :rolleyes:

OwlHoot
3rd January 2017, 14:56
85,000 copies sold to a population of 80 million - and that's assuming all copies were bought within Germany. Not really "soaring", is it? :rolleyes:

Nope, and I gather it is a newly released annotated edition, which may somewhat account for the increase in sales.

But there's also the canary in the coal mine aspect. "From little acorns" and so on .. :eek:

OwlHoot
3rd January 2017, 15:00

Ah yes, the memoirs of the famous Field Marshall von Thachter. Fasinating reading! :laugh

SimonMac
3rd January 2017, 15:05
85,000 copies sold, still 1.3m less than the Daily Mail

vetran
3rd January 2017, 15:11
Nope, and I gather it is a newly released annotated edition, which may somewhat account for the increase in sales.

But there's also the canary in the coal mine aspect. "From little acorns" and so on .. :eek:

the version is a year old

https://www.thelocal.de/20170103/85000-copies-of-mein-kampf-sold-in-germany-in-past-year

However it does seem that it was the first time in 70 years

Until now, the work had been owned by the Bavarian state government, which prevented any new editions being published in Germany for the standard term of 70 years after the death of the author.

But as you can download it for free in many places one does rather wonder why such interest.

scooterscot

That would be because despite her detractors nobody believes she filled the pits with dead bodies or invaded Poland.

Bliar was a lying cheating scumbag but he doesn't even get on the same scale as most of Hitlers henchmen. He may have filled at least one wood with a dead body though.

MarillionFan
3rd January 2017, 15:36

I have a copy on my book shelf. It's right next to the Koran believe it or not.

vetran
3rd January 2017, 15:40
I have a copy on my book shelf. It's right next to the Koran believe it or not.

both in the "astounding fiction" section?

SimonMac
3rd January 2017, 15:53
both in the "astounding fiction" section?

Along with this

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9125175/penguin.jpg

vetran
3rd January 2017, 15:57
Along with this

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9125175/penguin.jpg

They dropped the "First Class" bit as too fanciful?

NotAllThere
3rd January 2017, 16:08
Why is this any different to sales of Thachter's or Blair's biography?Because Thatcher's and Blair's biographies don't contain much, if any, anti-semitism.

The Bavarian government held the copyright, and refused permission to publish. The work is now in the public domain, so there's nothing to stop its publication.

SimonMac
3rd January 2017, 16:10

If you really think the three are in the same league there is something seriously wrong with you....... oh!

scooterscot
3rd January 2017, 16:26
Because Thatcher's and Blair's biographies don't contain much, if any, anti-semitism..

And that's different to the UK's modern day prejudice against eastern Europeans, Muslins how?

It's how it always begins, you've people like Farage stirring up hate and the people lapped it up.

scooterscot
3rd January 2017, 16:29
If you really think the three are in the same league there is something seriously wrong with you....... oh!

I do suppose we judge by them actions. Over 500,000 people died in Iraq during the Blair years. Libya, we had no business there not the whole of North Africa is a hotbed for extremism (except perhaps for Morocco)

scooterscot
3rd January 2017, 16:32
Because Thatcher's and Blair's biographies don't contain much, if any, anti-semitism..

Regarding the taboo topic of anti-semitism.... Why does the world stand by when the state of Israeli continues to illegally acquire land and receive support in spades from the US. Russia does the same thing in the Ukraine and folks take umbrage.

Just saying like...

NickFitz
3rd January 2017, 16:52
But as you can download it for free in many places one does rather wonder why such interest.

Because it's the annotated edition, edited and annotated by Christian Hartmann (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Hartmann_(historian)), Dr. Thomas Vordermayer (http://www.ngzg.geschichte.uni-muenchen.de/personen/ls_wirsching/vordermayer_thomas/index.html), Othmar Plöckinger (http://www.victorianweb.org/misc/plockinger.html), and Roman Töppel (http://portal-militaergeschichte.de/node/525).

According to the Times Literary Supplement (Struggles with Mein Kampf (http://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/struggle-with-reality/)) it's also 2,000 pages long, which is considerably longer than Hitler managed.

I would imagine a fair number of those sales have gone to libraries, academics, and students of history and politics. Oh, and of abnormal psychology :rolleyes:

vetran
3rd January 2017, 17:00
And that's different to the UK's modern day prejudice against eastern Europeans, Muslins how?

It's how it always begins, you've people like Farage stirring up hate and the people lapped it up.

No it begins by the population being made to feel oppressed and unable to control their country. Suppressing wages and opportunities is a good start, historically high levels of immigration so people have someone to hate is a nice touch.

However its unlikely that Farage will be slaughtering anyone by the million. Even Maggie & BLiar would baulk at that.

You know there is a difference between asking "Why do X get a council house before me", "Why do X seem to leave rubbish everywhere when they are moved on from illegally squatting on Land", "Why do the Police believe X nationality are behind 80% of X Crime", "Why does X religion seem to breed Suicide Bombers" and condoning Genocide?

d000hg
3rd January 2017, 17:03
85,000 copies sold to a population of 80 million - and that's assuming all copies were bought within Germany. Not really "soaring", is it? :rolleyes:I'm sure Sasguru can explain the statistics to you...

vetran
3rd January 2017, 17:07
Regarding the taboo topic of anti-semitism.... Why does the world stand by when the state of Israeli continues to illegally acquire land and receive support in spades from the US. Russia does the same thing in the Ukraine and folks take umbrage.

Just saying like...

apparently the UN will do something about it

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/12/un-security-council-resolution-on-israeli-settlements-in-opt/

feel sorry for both sides one lot currently owned the land the other lot were given it when chased out of Europe like they were chased off the land before according to the good book.

Pity they hate each other so completely and all because of religion.

NotAllThere
3rd January 2017, 17:34
Why is this any different to sales of Thachter's or Blair's biography?Because Thatcher's and Blair's autobiography don't contain anti-semitism.

And that's different to the UK's modern day prejudice against eastern Europeans, Muslins how?...Anti-semitism is a subset of racism and xenophobia. So at core, there is no difference. You may recall that Hitler considered the Slavs to be inferior to Aryans. If you know any history, you'll be aware that the Eastern Europeans were not treated terribly well by the Germans.

Thatcher's and Blair's autobiographies also do not contain much in the way of racism, unlike Mein Kampf.

Are you now clear on the difference between Hitler's Mein Kampf and Thatcher and Blair's biographies?

d000hg
3rd January 2017, 18:46
Blair and Thatcher's biographies were not self-titled unless they were autobiographies; that would then be another major difference ;)

xoggoth
3rd January 2017, 19:05
He was one of the major influences of the last century. Doubt everyone buying MK is a neo-Nazi, most will probably just be interested in history. Programs about Hitler frequently feature on TV.

I've got books about Alistair Crowley, doesn't make me a Satanist.

PS I am a Satanist obviously, but having the books does not make me one.

scooterscot
3rd January 2017, 19:26
Are you now clear on the difference between Hitler's Mein Kampf and Thatcher and Blair's biographies?

No because I haven't read them.

scooterscot
3rd January 2017, 19:28
He was one of the major influences of the last century. Doubt everyone buying MK is a neo-Nazi, most will probably just be interested in history. Programs about Hitler frequently feature on TV.

That was my take on it. Except my older German neighbour of mein that never says word, always suspicious of him.

Cliphead
3rd January 2017, 19:32
Just an aside. For years the public library of the town I grew up in had a display showing a hardback copy of MK with an embedded piece of German bomb shrapnel from the blitz, the only book damaged.

SueEllen
3rd January 2017, 19:35
No because I haven't read them.

Maybe you should - it would expand your world view.

xoggoth
3rd January 2017, 19:45
Mein Kampf has to be be better that Blair's biographies surely?

SueEllen
3rd January 2017, 19:50

You mean because you know one is blatantly untrue?

Anyway Blair is still alive. Until he's dead reading his biography about the 3rd way is pointless as we still haven't seen the full historical impact of it.

WTFH
3rd January 2017, 20:11
So maybe the headline story is a tad misleading...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38500422

SueEllen
3rd January 2017, 20:19
So maybe the headline story is a tad misleading...
Hitler's Mein Kampf not a best-seller in Germany - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38500422)

Interesting....

Mein Kampf (My Struggle) is an expensive academic text, costing €58 (£49; $60), and is being bought by libraries, schools and history academics.

NickFitz
3rd January 2017, 20:20
I've got books about Alistair Crowley, doesn't make me a Satanist.

I always thought Crowley showed a bit of class by describing his memoirs as an autohagiography - a hagiography being the book of the life of a saint :laugh

shaunbhoy
3rd January 2017, 20:27
Interesting....

Really? :eyes

NotAllThere
3rd January 2017, 21:07
Probably will make you less likely to one to kill someone. :ohwell

darmstadt
3rd January 2017, 22:08

Possibly, but it is hard going and is pretty much crap once you get past a lot of the ramblings.

scooterscot
3rd January 2017, 22:09
Maybe you should - it would expand your world view.

That's the funniest thing ever. I should expand my world view by reading about the lives of sociopaths.

SueEllen
3rd January 2017, 22:10
That's the funniest thing ever. I should expand my world view by reading about the lives of sociopaths.

Thatcher and Blair weren't/haven't been diagnosed as that.

scooterscot
3rd January 2017, 22:15

Margaret Thatcher had "psychopathic tendencies"
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9848454/Margaret-Thatcher-had-psychopathic-tendencies-says-actress-who-played-her.html)

Tony Blair is a tragic narcissist with a messiah complex, says Robert Harris
(https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/03/tony-blair-narcissist-messiah-complex-robert-harris)

NickFitz
3rd January 2017, 22:18
Possibly, but it is hard going and is pretty much crap once you get past a lot of the ramblings.

Sorry, which one are you referring to? :confused:

darmstadt
3rd January 2017, 22:19

Nor have Trump/Farage/Le Pen/Wilders/Johnson/Gove/the alt-right CUK clique/Roy 'Chubby' Brown/et. al. yet :laugh

xoggoth
3rd January 2017, 22:28
Getting back into conspiracy theories again but, several years back, a prominent US psychologist stated that many world leaders were so far off the normal spectrum in terms of self esteem and ego they could be legitimately be classified as insane.

Curiously, a year or two later I searched for it and could not find anything at all. Expect the poor chap ended up dead in a ditch somewhere and his publications got scrapped.

d000hg
3rd January 2017, 22:44
He was one of the major influences of the last century. Doubt everyone buying MK is a neo-Nazi, most will probably just be interested in history. Programs about Hitler frequently feature on TV. Yes this has been the case for the last half-century or so. People have always read it - IIRC it has been cool to read it in the past at various times and obviously there's both the historical interest and the kind of sick fascination to look into Hitler's mind.

But a sudden spike in sales/interest is interesting.

bobspud
3rd January 2017, 22:51
Getting back into conspiracy theories again but, several years back, a prominent US psychologist stated that many world leaders were so far off the normal spectrum in terms of self esteem and ego they could be legitimately be classified as insane.

Curiously, a year or two later I searched for it and could not find anything at all. Expect the poor chap ended up dead in a ditch somewhere and his publications got scrapped.

More work has been done on the subject since then and it agrees with the premise. In fact most CxO's in large companies are also psychopaths. I think it goes with the natural ability to manipulate and charm your way into the post and there is also a need for lack of empathy too.

Either way no one should be suppressing historical texts regardless of how hate filled it is. We need an unfiltered window into history to spot the signs in future. It's also important not to grant arseholes the excuse of they are suppressing my rights or freedom. I'd rather they read it and were out in the open with their bigotry. At least the rest of society can keep them in check that way.

NotAllThere
4th January 2017, 06:40
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9848454/Margaret-Thatcher-had-psychopathic-tendencies-says-actress-who-played-her.html)Notwithstanding that having tendencies to psychopathy doesn't make someone a psychopath, and that Andrea Riseborough isn't a psychiatrist (just some actor pontificating), psychopathy is not sociopathy. Both have anti-social personality disorders, but sociopaths have a conscience, albeit weak.

(https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/03/tony-blair-narcissist-messiah-complex-robert-harris)Notwithstanding that Robert Harris isn't a psychiatrist (just some author pontificating), narcissism and having a messiah complex are both distinct from sociopathy.

HTH.

WTFH
4th January 2017, 08:57
narcissism and having a messiah complex are both distinct from sociopathy.

HTH.

That's why we have 3 mods, to provide balance, obviously.

Mine Sincerely,

Fabulous Mr Fox.

SimonMac
4th January 2017, 09:30

Just saying like...

Israel no longer has unilateral support from the US, as shown by the recent UN Resolution

SimonMac
4th January 2017, 09:31
That's why we have 3 mods, to provide balance, obviously.

Mine Sincerely,

Fabulous Mr Fox.

4, RH is still a mod, even if he is AWOL

northernladuk
4th January 2017, 09:36
4, RH is still a mod, even if he is AWOL

He's not AWOL. He's always there in the shadows like a ninja waiting swoop in welding the ban nunchucks.

LondonManc
4th January 2017, 09:44
Nor have Trump/Farage/Le Pen/Wilders/Johnson/Gove/the alt-right CUK clique/Roy 'Chubby' Brown/et. al. yet :laugh

Stalin has, but he does fit your leftist agenda. ;)

d000hg
4th January 2017, 11:29
How old was Hitler when MK was written?

WTFH
4th January 2017, 11:46

NotAllThere
4th January 2017, 11:46

First volume published when he was 36. He began writing it age 34.

d000hg
4th January 2017, 14:51
He'd hardly achieved anything by then! Should've waited longer, that's nearly as bad as Justin Beiber

chally
10th January 2017, 08:47
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/9848454/Margaret-Thatcher-had-psychopathic-tendencies-says-actress-who-played-her.html)

(http://www.jiotvapp.com)
my idols
in the next 20 years who know there will be series about Donald Trump's perfect life :yay: