• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Puts our pay into perspective

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puts our pay into perspective

Millions have less than £100 in savings, study finds - BBC News

More than 16m people in the UK have savings of less than £100, a study by the Money Advice Service (MAS) has found.
    In five areas of the country, more than half the adult population has savings below that level.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The master plan is to get the proles massively in debt and let them grind away until aged 75 on the minimum wage.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Thought you were posting this:
      Executive pay: 'Fat Cat Wednesday' highlighted - BBC News
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        I nearly did but LBC mentioned this and I was very surprised.

I imagine £100 is a Night/day out for most of us.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          I nearly did but LBC mentioned this and I was very surprised.

I imagine £100 is a Night/day out for most of us.
          Flip side is that I know some of the people with zero savings - £100 is a night out for them too. It's a different mind set when you're on minimum wage, rented accommodation, bit of support from the state, etc. Aspirations are different, as a priorities. Priorities are food, clothes and getting drunk at the weekend to make up for yet another dull week.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What does no savings mean exactly? Does having £100K of equity in your house and another £100K in a pension count as no savings?

I have to admit despite having a reasonably good income I didn't really save anything (I mean really) until I was in my mid 30s.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              What does no savings mean exactly? Does having £100K of equity in your house and another £100K in a pension count as no savings?

I have to admit despite having a reasonably good income I didn't really save anything (I mean really) until I was in my mid 30s.
              These people are generally in rented accommodation - they won't have been able to save for a £30k deposit on a minimum wage, let alone secure a mortgage on it since house prices started rocketing in the early 2000s.

Comment

That's what I was about to ask. I worked with a contractor who spunked everything as fast as he could, new bikes, cars, latest crapple stuff etc. He didn't have any savings to his name, and company either. CT spent as well. The look of panic and then despair when he was given his notice was a sight to behold. To be fair he will have had more than 100 quid in the bank at anyone time but that was to be spent not saved.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  That's what I was about to ask. I worked with a contractor who spunked everything as fast as he could, new bikes, cars, latest crapple stuff etc. He didn't have any savings to his name, and company either. CT spent as well. The look of panic and then despair when he was given his notice was a sight to behold. To be fair he will have had more than 100 quid in the bank at anyone time but that was to be spent not saved.
                  You're in the wrong area of the workforce pal - someone earning, but spending, £2500 a week isn't this sort of person.

Comment

I would suspect anyone in our position that doesn't have a years net money available to them in ISA/Cash probably doesn't have enough.

Pension is great but £100K ain't enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X