• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Public Sector Rules – take-home pay Calculation question – One for the accountant

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Public Sector Rules – take-home pay Calculation question – One for the accountant

Say I have a 52 week Contract starting 10th April 2017 with HMRC – I will definitely be IR35 Caught

Daily Rate = £500 – 5 days a week – 9 hour days
    No pension Contributions
    Vat Registered (standard not Flat rate)
    I work away from home and have a London flat that costs £500 per week (have to pay if I am in London or on Holiday or at home)
    Other Expenses are £400 a week (Travel + Food etc) – Only pay this out when working (not when on Holiday)
    Ignore all other business expenses (accountants, Insurance etc)
    Assume already a higher rate taxpayer
    Remove VAT if makes calculations simpler as neutral

Question 1

I work 20 days then Invoice for £10K + £2K Vat
    Expenses = Flat + other = £3600

What is my net gain for working those 20days (180 hours or work) after expenses and tax

Question 2
    I work 10 days (I went off to butlins to ride some donkeys for 10 days) = £5K + £1K Vat
    Expenses = Flat + other = £2800

What is my net gain for working those 10days (90 hours of work) after expenses and tax

Thanks in Advance (assume I don’t have an accountant to ask @copyright NLUK)

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
    Say I have a 52 week Contract starting 10th April 2017 with HMRC – I will definitely be IR35 Caught

No pension Contributions
    I work away from home and have a London flat that costs £500 per week (have to pay if I am in London or on Holiday or at home)
    Other Expenses are £400 a week (Travel + Food etc) – Only pay this out when working (not when on Holiday)

Question 1

What is my net gain for working those 20days (180 hours or work) after expenses and tax

Question 2
    I work 10 days (I went off to butlins to ride some donkeys for 10 days) = £5K + £1K Vat

What is my net gain for working those 10days (90 hours of work) after expenses and tax

I don't know how the expenses are going to work, but the tax is to expect 65% of day rate as per umbrellas.

You need to include accountant fees in your expense calculations, but I would consider them the same as umbrella fees (i.e. part of the 45% tax & fees)

Will expenses even be allowed?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

No pension Contributions

Question 1

Question 2

Where do you get your expenses claim from if you're inside IR35?

As of 6 April 2016, any worker employed through an umbrella company or a limited company director working inside IR35 can no longer claim for travel and subsistence costs such as expenses and incur tax relief on these costs.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        Where do you get your expenses claim from if you're inside IR35?

As of 6 April 2016, any worker employed through an umbrella company or a limited company director working inside IR35 can no longer claim for travel and subsistence costs such as expenses and incur tax relief on these costs.
        Expenses will come out of net pay, hence my question, it is worth working for PS if you have high expenses

Comment

Expenses will come out of net pay, hence my question, it is worth working for PS if you have high expenses
          If you can get in to private sector easily enough and work end to end the answer for me would be fat no with or without the expenses TBH. I can't imagine the rates will stay the same anyway so the model might be a bit too hypothetical and why take any inside IR35 gig if you don't need to?

If it's attractive due to convenience other than money then it doesn't really matter to a certain extent?

I can't help with the actual numbers though sorry.

(assume I don’t have an accountant to ask @copyright NLUK)
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The lesson is simple, don't rent a flat.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I don't really trust them but bearing in mind it's a straight case of Inside vs Outside could it be worth pumping numbers in to the calculators to get a clue?

That one does say

Travel expenses cover any travel, subsistence and accommodation costs incurred on contract duty, and falling within the HMRC Travel Rules for site-based employees.
              But dunno if that takes in to account T&S not being allowed on an Inside IR35 or whatever the situation is so just be wary.
              Last edited by Contractor UK; 1 February 2017, 12:11.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Told you...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No, as we discussed when you last posted that question in October / November....

In other news new end client had 2 departments ring up looking for support.... - I think the going rate will be 4 times the rate contractors charge.
                  Last edited by eek; 4 January 2017, 21:41. Reason: Noticed this seems to be a spill over from IPSE's forum
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    No, as we discussed when you last posted that question in October / November....

In other news new end client had 2 departments ring up looking for support.... - I think the going rate will be 4 times the rate contractors charge.
                    Shame it isn't more.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X