• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another racist bashing immigrants

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another racist bashing immigrants

Immigrants should be made to learn English on arrival to help integration in UK, parliamentary report finds | The Independent

New immigrants to Britain should be made to learn English on arrival in compulsory classes, according to Parliament’s new all-party group on social integration.

MPs and peers from all parties are co-authors of a new report that also suggests handing immigration powers directly to regions ahead of the current centralised system. It comes in the wake of a Louise Casey’s report last month that warned that as Britain is becoming more diverse, it is also becoming more divided. Dame Casey’s report also recommended that immigrants be required to swear an ‘integration oath.’
    Compulsory education? Oath swearing? all a bit extreme to me.

Fine with a mandatory English test and swearing allegiance if they want to become a citizen.

or am I being a bit extreme?

Labour MP Chuka Umunna, chair of the APPG, said: “It’s clear that immigration has impacted on different communities in different ways and the pace of change has alarmed many.
    By jove I think he has got it!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Why do you think it's racist?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

How do you expect people to integrate beyond their community without speaking the native language?

Are you a troll or somewhere to the left of Corbyn and Abbott?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        How do you expect people to integrate beyond their community without speaking the native language?
        Most middle-class Brits aren't integrated into any community let alone beyond their community... so why do foreigners have to?

English Ex-pats remain English in a foreign country, often proudly and rigidly so. So when foreigners come here why is that different?

How many immigrants don't speak any English, or rather don't end up learning English after a few years? Are there any reliable facts on this?

I don't think the problem is immigrants not integrating, it's simply the sheer numbers involved.

(also it's certainly not racist)
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If I were to move to a non-English speaking country, I would not expect to get very far if I couldn't at least converse in the local language.

If you want to work/integrate/function, you need to be able to speak and read in that country's primary language. It makes such perfect sense that I'm more shocked that a basic level of language ability isn't a visa requirement. It certainly is for the Australian/NZ system that some seem to hold up as the gold standard.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            If I were to move to a non-English speaking country, I would not expect to get very far if I couldn't at least converse in the local language.

If you want to work/integrate/function, you need to be able to speak and read in that country's primary language.
            Actually this often isn't true if you're from the UK/US/Oz because English is so widely spoken, in developed nations anyway. I know people who have taken jobs in other EU nations without speaking the language, have local friends, etc.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Why do you think it's racist?
              New job as Devil's advocate.

This has been previously been suggested by others and they were accused of Xenophobia & Racism. Its funny coming from Mr Umunna I don't hear the same screams.

Personally I'm happy with English tests (so long as they are properly administered) & an agreement to not break laws as a basis to extend Visas/ Leave to remain.

Forcing compulsory lessons on immigrants seems intrusive.

Asking them to swear allegiance also should be for citizenship & ILR applications.

I have no problem with asking them to undertake to obey the laws & values of our country but allegiance is too far unless you are renouncing your own citizenship.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Actually this often isn't true if you're from the UK/US/Oz because English is so widely spoken, in developed nations anyway. I know people who have taken jobs in other EU nations without speaking the language, have local friends, etc.
                Fair enough. Just seems a bit backward to me if you don't try and learn the local lingo. Feels a bit rude.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Most middle-class Brits aren't integrated into any community let alone beyond their community... so why do foreigners have to?

English Ex-pats remain English in a foreign country, often proudly and rigidly so. So when foreigners come here why is that different?

How many immigrants don't speak any English, or rather don't end up learning English after a few years? Are there any reliable facts on this?

I don't think the problem is immigrants not integrating, it's simply the sheer numbers involved.

(also it's certainly not racist)
                  In the context of the link, it's also about getting jobs - nobody is asking them to mix socially with anyone they don't want to (not many people do across any social spectrum), but if they want to be eligible for benefits, they should be eligible for work and if they can't speak English, that's an issue.

You carry on Citizen Smith.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Seems to me the Kippers may be shooting themselves in the foot by linking immigration to language skills, what with children the world over being taught English.

The EU, God bless 'em, came up with language competency levels backed by certificates. Apparently you need B1 level to get permanent right to stay in Germany (which I think I'd pass but that's still quite a lot of work to get to that level). I know the popular opinion is that Germany lets everyone in, but it seems they take this more seriously than we do.

The question is are we expecting people to pass an English language exam before they're let out of the airport, or are we saying public money should be spent on free, but compulsory languages courses for immigrants here before they're allowed to stay? I can't imagine the Brexit-voting majority would be very happy about the latter.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X