• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BMW M5 - any experience, pro/cons, where to buy etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW M5 - any experience, pro/cons, where to buy etc

Hey all

The need for a new family car (i.e. one that can fit 3 kids in the back) and my mid-life crisis have merged and I'm looking at the M5 as a solution.

A 2013 model is coming in at around £35k. Not cheap but I figure it'll be fun for a couple of years.

Anyone here have experience of owning or driving the M5? Anything I should look out for when buying?

Before anyone tries talking me out of it, please consider the 2 requirements highlighted above

Twin-turbo

Get pre-2011 with V10 naturally aspirated...

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      ......... Anything I should look out for when buying?

The letters "E63" on the bootlid (or tailgate).

Seriously, never owned or driven the latter versions. Supposed to be great bits of kit but I guess you are either a "Merc Man", "BMW Boy" or "Audi W#####" (however if you went RS6 or S6, would make an exception).

Comment

Originally posted by FMCG View Post
        The letters "E63" on the bootlid (or tailgate).

Seriously, never owned or driven the latter versions. Supposed to be great bits of kit but I guess you are either a "Merc Man", "BMW Boy" or "Audi W#####" (however if you went RS6 or S6, would make an exception).
        This. Took an E63 round the track at Mercedes world in Surrey. What a beast.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Go 911 Turbo S or go home!

Two kids at the back, one up front...
          Last edited by AtW; 5 January 2017, 16:23.

Comment

Buy a sensible car and a £3k motorbike which'll destroy any BMW car

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Buy a sensible car and a £3k motorbike which'll destroy any BMW car
              He said he's got middle life crisis, not that he feeling suicidal...

Comment

Every hot hatch will try and race you. Every single time. I prefer my more discrete, more comfy, but just as fast 760Li, tellys in the back for the kids, and 544BHP for me
                World's Best Martini

Comment

Oddly enough I've only known one guy with an M5 and he got rid no so long after having it. Well he tried to. Took him ages to sell and had to drop the price. You can get a good deal if you work it.

Personally I just don't really like them. I think they can look dated very quickly. A lot more so than the equivalents mentioned. Also the types that tend to be in older M5's are..erm... you know. I just think the M's try too hard. The Merc and Audi looks a lot more understated but still look like they can deliver if that makes sense. I imagine you'll get more RS6 for your buck than M5. Down to personal choice I guess.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Audi fast S/RS variants are typically driven by twats.

Comment

Working...
                    X