• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Access to single market 'not on sale'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Access to single market 'not on sale'

"The UK will not be able to buy access to the single market after it leaves the EU, says one of the most senior UK officials to have worked in Brussels.

Jonathan Faull, who retired last week, said that access to the single market "is not something that's on sale".

He also warned the UK should not assume it can broker a deal with Angela Merkel if she wins re-election as German chancellor.

Theresa May plans to trigger the Brexit negotiations by the end of March."

Source: Access to single market 'not on sale' - BBC News

Might have to register subsidiary in Ireland and sell services from it to all clients outside of UK, so that's for us would be 80% of sales, totally legitimately registering those sales in Ireland with 12.5% corp tax instead of 20% in UK... fresh Guiness too, close to Isle of Man, what's not to like?

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "The UK will not be able to buy access to the single market after it leaves the EU, says one of the most senior UK officials to have worked in Brussels.

Jonathan Faull, who retired last week, said that access to the single market "is not something that's on sale".

He also warned the UK should not assume it can broker a deal with Angela Merkel if she wins re-election as German chancellor.

Theresa May plans to trigger the Brexit negotiations by the end of March."

Source: Access to single market 'not on sale' - BBC News

Might have to register subsidiary in Ireland and sell services from it to all clients outside of UK, so that's for us would be 80% of sales, totally legitimately registering those sales in Ireland with 12.5% corp tax instead of 20% in UK... fresh Guiness too, close to Isle of Man, what's not to like?
    My guess is that defeatist attitude of his is why he made such a bollocks of the last negotiation he was involved in.
    Last edited by woohoo; 5 January 2017, 22:25. Reason: cant spell.

Comment

Come to think of it - maybe I should move to Isle of Man, start a contracting agency, 90% take home guaranteed, QC approved...

Comment

Come to think of it - maybe I should move to Isle of Man, start a contracting agency, 90% take home guaranteed, QC approved...
        Flights are awful and the ferry takes hours.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          My guess is that defeatist attitude of his is why he made such a bollocks of the last negotiation he was involved in.
          He just knows what the score it.

The noobs that May is sending against Merkel's MG42s will gain once in a lifetime experience...

Comment

He just knows what the score it.

The noobs that May is sending against Merkel's MG42s will gain once in a lifetime experience...
            Tbh, if we didnt get what we want, I reckon we could invade most of the Nordic countries get some of that green energy from geezers and all the oil. Then move on and take Spain cause us Brits like it there. Bypass France because they have nukes and may accidentally set one off when they surrender and run to Germany. Do a deal with the ruskies, let them have some of those crap countries they like and use them to move in on Germany. Italy will side with us, because they know a winner, well apart from WW2.

Trump will be like hey UK you go guys, leave Merkel for me.

So say in two years we will pretty much rule the EU. Then move on a take over some of those other nations that don't have an army or nukes.
            Last edited by woohoo; 5 January 2017, 22:32. Reason: If i could like my own post I would.

Comment

I reckon we could invade most of the Nordic countries
              Settle account with the vikings?

Comment

Settle account with the vikings?
                yeah i reckon so why not, plus get to see the northern lights, be a good day out for the soldiers.

Comment

Why Brexit is a golden opportunity for Tate & Lyle Sugars
                  Brexit is a golden opportunity for UK businesses like Tate & Lyle Sugars.

Tate & Lyle Sugars have been refining cane sugar in the UK since 1878 – and are responsible for some of Britain’s most loved brands, like Lyle’s Golden Syrup, produced in the same unchanged tin for over 130 years.

But being in the EU has hit Tate & Lyle Sugars – and cost UK jobs. Protectionist EU sugar and trade policies have discriminated against cane sugar refiners – limiting the countries Tate & Lyle Sugars can buy from and often charging them eye-watering import tariffs.

These policies were designed by the EU to boost beet sugar producers in 19 EU countries – at the expense of companies like Tate & Lyle Sugars, who use cane sugar instead.

In 2015 alone these EU policies artificially inflated Tate & Lyle Sugar’s raw cane sugar bill by £34 million – resulting in a £21 million loss to the company.

And the Tate & Lyle Sugars London refinery has had to downsize by 50% since 2009 – meaning UK jobs and livelihoods lost.
                  So much for the wonderful Single Market.

Comment

Flights are awful and the ferry takes hours.
                    Private plane, silly.

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                    Why Brexit is a golden opportunity for Tate & Lyle Sugars

So much for the wonderful Single Market.
                    Tate and Lyle have been working under the beet subsidised regime since the 90s (or possibly earlier). Perhaps Brexit will be good for T&L, but maybe it'll be bad for British Sugar (beet refiner). Or maybe it will be good for both.

The thing is one example, or one industry doesn't make a case. The single market has been great for the City. You have to consider all the industries and their contributions to the UK economy before and after. Cherry picking data (both sides guilty of this) is just daft. It proves nothing.

Nobody knows how it will all pan out. No-one knows what the negotiations once A50 is finally triggered (if ever!) will end up with. And no-one knows what effect that will have on the UK economy.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X