• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That should help Paris stay competitive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That should help Paris stay competitive

French managers get used to law that forces companies to let staff switch off email | Daily Mail Online

'It can wait until Monday': How French managers are getting used to new law that forces companies to let their staff switch off email when they're not at work
    The move is intended to tackle the so-called 'always-on' working culture
    Around 60 percent of workers were in favour of regulating to clarify their rights
    Law was enacted on January 1 and affects companies with 50 or more employees
    Some were unhappy with new law, confessing their own ambition spurs them on
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Stopped checking my emails out of hours a few years a go. Much happier person

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
      Stopped checking my emails out of hours a few years a go. Much happier person
      I've hardly ever checked work email outside work, and nobody's ever expected me to. Maybe once or twice when expecting something important from someone in a different time zone, but otherwise work hours are when I'm working.
      Last edited by VectraMan; 6 January 2017, 10:26.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Agreed,

I also stopped checking emails outside working hours a couple of years ago.

Totally agree, that the always on culture is no good for anybody.

If it is in my contract and I am paid for it then that's something else.

Milan.

Comment

In 2003, I worked on a project in Paris. During one of the project management meetings, the PM (who was also the Head of Finance) said that the analysts and programmers should take their laptops with them on holiday. "That's what I do", he said - not in the least aware that he gets paid 10x what the other workers get for a reason.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

This about sums up the French labor laws:

https://youtu.be/dhvokJGP9AU?t=62

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              In 2003, I worked on a project in Paris. During one of the project management meetings, the PM (who was also the Head of Finance) said that the analysts and programmers should take their laptops with them on holiday. "That's what I do", he said - not in the least aware that he gets paid 10x what the other workers get for a reason.
              Exactly. I've done it in the past (as a perm) and will probably do it in the future but from now on I expect to be compensated for doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                This about sums up the French labor laws:

https://youtu.be/dhvokJGP9AU?t=62
                Yes they work less hours, retire earlier, take more time off and have a two hour lunch break with a bottle of red wine. And yet still manage to be more productive than the UK workforce. Must be something in that.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Yes they work less hours, retire earlier, take more time off and have a two hour lunch break with a bottle of red wine. And yet still manage to be more productive than the UK workforce. Must be something in that.
                  They don't have CUK.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                    They don't have CUK.
                    Contractorfr.com is owned by Amaril Uniform Co.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X