• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jamie Oliver hit by Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamie Oliver hit by Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/business...alian-barbecoa

Jamie Oliver closes six restaurants due to "Brexit" pressures including one in Aberdeen. Shocking Economic consequences.

Although
    -the other 42 resturants seem to be doing ok
    -In 2015, Oliver closed the last of his delicatessens, Recipease, and in 2014 closed three of four of his Union Jack restaurants.

This Brexit thing has really started to hit hard or maybe just the excuse every company rolls out wanting to make cost savings??!

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Jamie Oliver closes six restaurants due to "Brexit" pressures including one in Aberdeen. Shocking Economic consequences.

Although
    -In 2015, Oliver closed the last of his delicatessens, Recipease, and in 2014 closed three of four of his Union Jack restaurants.

This Brexit thing has really started to hit hard or maybe just the excuse every company rolls out wanting to make cost savings.
    I've not been to one of his restaurants but the misses doesnt rate them. Pretty crap.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I've not been to one of his restaurants but the misses doesnt rate them. Pretty crap.
      My hubby's pejorative term for him was "the fat tongued mockney c**t"

Comment

I had lunch once at a Jamie's Italian in Angel and I did have drinks and nibbles at the Barbecoa in St Pauls. Neither were such special experiences that I've felt the need to return.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Although

This Brexit thing has really started to hit hard or maybe just the excuse every company rolls out wanting to make cost savings??!
          Exactly this - as predicted before the vote.

Comment

I've been to the one in Oxford. Meh.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

There's one in Reading.

That's p}obably why I've never been in oneM

Comment

Barbecoa, St Paul's - poor service, mediocre food.

The (very good) butcher, also called Barbecoa, below the restaurant got shut down for food hygiene offences for a while. It's reopened as some sort of hybrid deli, butcher, cafe thing. Not very good at any of them.

Comment

I've been to 15 a few times and liked it. As I understand it JI is not far above a regular chain like Ask/Zizzi so I wouldn't expect an amazing experience like 15 or other signature places.

The BBC article mentions post-Brexit as one factor only, for instance the exchange rate making Italian foodstuffs more pricey. So opening more in the EU might make sense.

Restaurants are always on a knife edge though, you see Michelin-starred ones closing often.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Is this another one of the positive spin stories from the Brexit camp?

Next it will be Jeremy Kyle/Vine show cancelled due to Brexit and Michael McIntyre has voice box removed due to Brexit.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X