• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Honesty/Integrity best policy with agents/clients? Umm nope

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honesty/Integrity best policy with agents/clients? Umm nope

Cautionary tale for those who think honesty always works.

As some of you know I've had a lot of hassle recently with family illness and its been a real issue with my long commute.
    Out of the blue (and I wasn't even looking) I got offered a local gig.

With no notice period on current contract, I've told the whole truth to local client and asked to be let out a month early (end of jan - I asked before xmas). So far all client has done (well head office rather than local people) is pissed me about, dragged they're heels and generally avoided giving me a staight answer. I get the impression they know I wont like the no answer and they're hoping it all goes away.

Bottom line now is I'll probably have to stay tough Im leaving on this date hard luck.....

So what have I learnt:-

1. Be wary of contracts with no notice period. You might get a great gig and have no intentions of leaving early - I didn't. You're covered by Force Majeure for certain things (like getting hit by a bus) but if you're circumstances changes beware of the hassle you may get.

2. As suspected, clients and agents are not your friend. All they look after is number one.

3. If this happened again, I would not be truthful. I would lie to make things easier for myself, I would forget thinking about the client and handover. (Handover not started - I told them two weeks ago and have offered but, as above, its not sunk in). To be honest, if it ever happens again I'll pull a sickie or something.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

1. I wouldn't be turning down decent gigs with no notice period. Wish I could be picky but looking back it would have cost me a lot more turning them down than taking them. As usual you've been unlucky not being able to exit as you wish. Odd that innit.

2. No tulip sherlock. You've been contracting how long and this is dawning on you?

3. Why the pull a sickie line. It was looking like a half, or maybe quarter decent post up to that point?

So you got unlucky and it didn't all go your way. tulip happens. I don't think that's any reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater and start all that crap. Not everything goes your way in business.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 9 January 2017, 08:55.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Cautionary tale for those who think honesty always works.

As some of you know I've had a lot of hassle recently with family illness and its been a real issue with my long commute.
      Out of the blue (and I wasn't even looking) I got offered a local gig.

With no notice period on current contract, I've told the whole truth to local client and asked to be let out a month early (end of jan - I asked before xmas). So far all client has done (well head office rather than local people) is pissed me about, dragged they're heels and generally avoided giving me a staight answer. I get the impression they know I wont like the no answer and they're hoping it all goes away.

Bottom line now is I'll probably have to stay tough Im leaving on this date hard luck.....

So what have I learnt:-

1. Be wary of contracts with no notice period. You might get a great gig and have no intentions of leaving early - I didn't. You're covered by Force Majeure for certain things (like getting hit by a bus) but if you're circumstances changes beware of the hassle you may get.

2. As suspected, clients and agents are not your friend. All they look after is number one.

3. If this happened again, I would not be truthful. I would lie to make things easier for myself, I would forget thinking about the client and handover. (Handover not started - I told them two weeks ago and have offered but, as above, its not sunk in). To be honest, if it ever happens again I'll pull a sickie or something.
      Hard luck. Lesson learned. Is the other role closer to home still available?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        1. I wouldn't be turning down decent gigs with no notice period. Wish I could be picky but looking back it would have cost me a lot more turning them down than taking them. As usual you've been unlucky not being able to exit as you wish. Odd that innit.

2. No tulip sherlock. You've been contracting how long and this is dawning on you?

3. Why the pull a sickie line. It was looking like a half, or maybe quarter decent post up to that point?
        NLUK. Agreed - some clients will just say no to notice period. This time I just though so what Im not bothered about the notice period. Next time I will factor this in to any decison.

OK. Pulling a sickie maybe not. Would I be totally honest and upfront (As I've been this time) and expect the client to cut me some slack? Umm no I'd be careful how I did it next time.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
          Hard luck. Lesson learned. Is the other role closer to home still available?
          Fortunately it is. Current client methinks is hoping it'll all go away.

If there is no movement in next day or two I'll have no choice but to tell client I am leaving end of story. It didnt need to come to this.

Bearing in mind they've known almost 3 weeks now. I've offered handover and its been ignored (for above reason). So now its probably max 2 weeks more I can delay new gig for - which current client is going to moan about too short to sort something else. Their fault.

Comment

I'm sure there will be other gigs pop up that are more than suitable after February. Sorted.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

they've known almost 3 weeks now. I've offered handover and its been ignored (for above reason). So now its probably max 2 weeks more I can delay new gig for - which current client is going to moan about too short to sort something else. Their fault.
              Did you tell them (and the agent) in writing?
              If not then you haven't told them and you've not helped yourself.

If you've got it in writing (and therefore evidenced) then you're in a far stronger position. And having not had a response on the subject for 3 weeks I'd say you're good to leave. It wouldn't make you invulnerable against later actions but it provides a very strong defence and would almost certainly fall in your favour if it ever got legal.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                Did you tell them (and the agent) in writing?
                If not then you haven't told them and you've not helped yourself.

If you've got it in writing (and therefore evidenced) then you're in a far stronger position. And having not had a response on the subject for 3 weeks I'd say you're good to leave. It wouldn't make you invulnerable against later actions but it provides a very strong defence and would almost certainly fall in your favour if it ever got legal.
                Not in writing because I dont have a notice period. And I was hoping for some reasonableness from them.

Comment

Not in writing because I dont have a notice period. And I was hoping for some reasonableness from them.
                  Shame. They will probably just claim you've not told them anything. Don't trust the client (or the agent) they are not on your side (oh you worked that out already).
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

What a school boy error !! Even with no notice period you should have advised them in writing and chased up for a confirmation/ acknowledgement. This is what has put you in the situation you are currently faced with...

Comment

Working...
                    X