• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Frauds - how do they do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frauds - how do they do it?

Just had a pretty convincing call telling me that, several months back, my tiny business sponsored a scheme to provide books to schools to prevent drug abuse. It's a total scam as here:

Publication fraud | Action Fraud

Said I had no recollection of doing so and, since they did not ask me for any bank details, I assume I will get a fake invoice later.

But surely anyone with enough sense to run a business would check online before they paid anything, so how can it work? Same with those people who claim a bank account has been compromised and send somebody to collect a card. It only takes one savvy person to pretend to agree and then call the police and they'll get caught.

Some scams are a mystery.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

I get one of these calls per month. I go along with it for a bit pretending then I ask for their registered charity number so I can claim any tax back. Normally they hang up at that point but if not I just continue winding them up until I'm bored of playing along. Brightens up an otherwise boring day.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Just had a pretty convincing call telling me that, several months back, my tiny business sponsored a scheme to provide books to schools to prevent drug abuse. It's a total scam as here:

Said I had no recollection of doing so and, since they did not ask me for any bank details, I assume I will get a fake invoice later.

But surely anyone with enough sense to run a business would check online before they paid anything, so how can it work? Same with those people who claim a bank account has been compromised and send somebody to collect a card. It only takes one savvy person to pretend to agree and then call the police and they'll get caught.

Remember the old quote from George Carlin:
      "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
      They work because for every "savvy person" you have dozens of "idiots". Also, the fraudsters keep moving around, changing their company name etc. so they're a bit of a moving target for the police to catch, even when they're aware of them.

Comment

They ask if you voted remain if you say yes then they carry on..

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          They ask if you voted remain if you say yes then they carry on..

They target older people as they are more trusting of people and more confused by technology.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            They target older people as they are more trusting of people and more confused by technology.
            Quick someone warn NLUK!

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
              Quick someone warn NLUK!
              Fuunnneeeeee.

I'm too busy for this. I've won a shed load of Tesco and Amazon vouchers. Just need to log in to this web page to claim them. Bargain.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 9 January 2017, 14:41.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

They use the same kind of high pressure mechanisms most scammers use, threats, blackmail, bogus invoices, fake "debt collectors" and the like but with the added bonus that if you appear to be running a semi-legitimate business getting the police to intervene is nigh on impossible even when people have been threatened with violence/arson.

Even when these companies are wound up in the public interest and the directors convicted of breaches of the law, the chances or receiving a custodial sentence for the offence is negligible.

The Insolvency Service no doubt do the best they can, but some of the owners of these companies have been running the same scam for 10+ years.
                The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Its a numbers game, while some of them are very sophisticated, I would imagine naivety plays its part, you call 1,000 people and if one of them coughs up they go back and target them for more

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
                  Remember the old quote from George Carlin:

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize 52% of them are stupider than that."
                  FTFY
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                  X